FAA sued over ATC hiring ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27505

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Sued-Over-Controller-Hiring-225472-1.html

"
The Mountain States Legal Foundation has launched a class action lawsuit against the FAA over an abrupt change in its air traffic controller hiring practices. As we've reported, two years ago, the agency announced that rather than give preference to graduates of college ATC programs, it was administering a "biographical" test as the first qualifying step to becoming a controller. Hundreds of college graduates failed to get past that step, including Andrew Brigida, an Arizona State grad who scored 100 percent on the FAA's Air Traffic Selection and Training (AT-SAT) test, which used to be the FAA's primary measuring stick for controller aptitude. The suit alleges the change resulted from the FAA's desire to increase racial diversity in controller ranks and that violated the class's constitutional rights.

“In abandoning years of hiring the most qualified and adopting a ‘test’ that is the epitome of psychobabble, the FAA told our clients their skills are less important than their race and the public that its racial agenda is more important than aircraft safety,” said William Perry Pendley, MSLF’s president. Legal counsel is Michael Pearson, a Phoenix attorney and former air traffic controller who has been vocal in his criticism of the new hiring regime. He released documents to the media supporting his allegations that an FAA employee helped select candidates cheat on the biographical test to ensure their acceptance into the FAA training program. The FAA declined comment on the suit.
"

They don't have a leg to stand on. Why should we higher the best at something that is safety critical?

The question we should be asking is why doesn't the FAA hiring process also double as a talent agency responsible for photographing college recruiting pamphlets?

They don't have a leg to stand on. Why should we higher the best at something that is safety critical?

The question we should be asking is why doesn't the FAA hiring process also double as a talent agency responsible for photographing college recruiting pamphlets?
What?!?

I am wondering why they want to increase racial diversity? Has the ATC workforce usually been made up of white males? Do they want other people of different racial backgrounds an equal opportunity to become an air traffic controller? I am not saying that I agree or support what the FAA is doing I am saying what is the rationale behind their controversial hiring practices?

I am wondering why they want to increase racial diversity? Has the ATC workforce usually been made up of white males? Do they want other people of different racial backgrounds an equal opportunity to become an air traffic controller? I am not saying that I agree or support what the FAA is doing I am saying what is the rationale behind their controversial hiring practices?

Very white male dominated. If that's all who pursues it, then that's what's going to make up the workforce. But people say that it's racist and hostile so they need to "diversify" just for the sake of doing it.

People of different racial backgrounds DO have an equal opportunity to pursue and be successful, they either are unaware of ATC as a career, or are uninterested in pursuing it. I'm fine with them spreading the word that a career and opportunity exists that they might not otherwise find out about. But to base hiring only on that to skew their numbers and please the PC crowd is not ok, and I agree with above saying race-based hiring is racist. But it's ok if it's coming from the other side right?????

This has taken over the entire government, including the military. Even being a white female is not PC enough today in the military. On a side note, I find it humorous that those who scream diversity the loudest do not tolerate diversity of thought.

Good. Hope they win or at least make a point that resonates. A good friend of mine had a similar experience - took a year off work and racked up loans for CTI school. Scored 100 on the test. Graduated just before this nonsense decision came down. Experienced commercial pilot and flight instructor DQ'd on the "biographical" assessment while people with no aviation experience or education and backgrounds consisting of Burger King got chosen. Quotas have no place in life-or-death professions. Absolutely unconscionable.

The U.S. ATC system began in the 50s. Uh, yeah, it was mostly white males then too. That's a shocker.

Back