FAA Soda

I have a question. Since I have a slight color deficiency (Not enough to make me a dangerous pilot as I took the new FAA QCVT/MFT and passed with no problems :D) , would a USAF flight doctor disqualify me even though I have waivers from the FAA? Not sure how many of you have had to deal with stuff like this but I thought it would be worth a try. Thanks!

I'm assuming you're asking whether you'd be disqualified as a pilot (although most every other flying position requires color vision)....

In short, you are either color deficient or not. There is no "slight". And for pilots, that is a deal-breaker. USAF does not care about FAA waivers.

I'm assuming you're asking whether you'd be disqualified as a pilot (although most every other flying position requires color vision)....

In short, you are either color deficient or not. There is no "slight". And for pilots, that is a deal-breaker. USAF does not care about FAA waivers.

Well, that's kinda a kick in the balls.

And don't take internet advise from some random poster as fact either (no offense intended to girlintraining). If you really want to do it, find out for sure from a real AF flight doc. Yes colorblindness is disqualifying, but you need to find out for yourself if you really are.

Welcome to the club AK. Uncle Sam has been kicking my balls for over 15 years now while I've been chasing a vision waiver for myopia when I was in my twenties, and then an age waiver in addition to the vision waiver after I passed the max age. I'm either very persistent or straight-up retarded, it's a fine line but I have REALLY REALLY wanted to fly in the military for as long as I can remember (1973-ish).

Welcome to the club AK. Uncle Sam has been kicking my balls for over 15 years now while I've been chasing a vision waiver for myopia when I was in my twenties, and then an age waiver in addition to the vision waiver after I passed the max age. I'm either very persistent or straight-up retarded, it's a fine line but I have REALLY REALLY wanted to fly in the military for as long as I can remember (1973-ish).

Ouch.

So is there a way I can contact an Air Force flight doctor and ask him some questions?

You could try here (PDF):
http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-061204-037.pdf

or here:
http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet_print.asp?fsID=5564&page=1

Flight Medicine (580-4006) is open 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. weekdays and provides medical care to people on flying status and their family members, and active-duty firefighters. Active-duty sick call for people on flying status and who work at the fire department is 7:30 a.m.-8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.-1:30 p.m. weekdays.

I think the area code is 907.

I am trying to look into flying UAVs/UASs for the Army now. The Air Force has them as well if you are particular about joining the AF. Not sure of any vision or age restrictions yet but I have learned that the Army uses enlisted to fly the UAVs/UASs and the AF uses officers.

Just like in the baseops thread, for the Navy at least, pass the FALANT light test and all is good. I always had problems with the color plates but always passed the FALANT test. Of course on my last flight physical, the FALANT machine was stolen. Someone walked right out with it so I had to take a color plate test. This was my 16th flight physical so I certainly wasn't worried about being NPQ'd for color vision. Wouldn't you know it, I passed the test 100%. These were shapes btw and not numbers. I usually miss at least 5 or 6 of the plates but that was from years ago when I cared. Key is I guess, not care and thus, don't be nervous. I flew off aircraft carriers for 8 years, 2500+ hours and never had a problem. If I am color deficient, it hasn't had an effect on my flying.

There are websites in which you can rent a FALANT just in case you are nervous or want to practice. Here is the website:

http://www.colorblindpilot.com/

And don't take internet advise from some random poster as fact either (no offense intended to girlintraining). If you really want to do it, find out for sure from a real AF flight doc. Yes colorblindness is disqualifying, but you need to find out for yourself if you really are.

AMG - no offense taken! I figured I would answer, for the Air Force at least, since I used to work for the flight surgeon and AFI 48-123 was my bible. Now I'm a pilot, and I try to get away with murder when it comes to the clinic.... :D

Back