FAA LICENSE TO KOREAN LICENSE

Parkedplane

Well-Known Male
Good afternoon,

I was hoping to get an answer.. I've looked all over the web and couldn't find a thing. I was trying to convert my FAA CPL to a Korean CPL I believe.. its KOTSA. I was wondering if anyone knew the process or even a place that will know how to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have a company you are trying to get hired on by? If so, contact them. If you are just doing it in hopes of finding a job, you may end up flying a US, Isle of Mann, Bermuda, or other registered airplane, and will not need the Korean certs. Let us know more info on why you want this and maybe somebody could help.

You need to study for Korean air law exam, then send in your pilots license and copy of last few pages of your logbook with current flight times to schedule the air law exam.. Then they'll give you approval to take the exam.. After you pass the exam you'll go through an oral with a korean examiner (or airline check airman if you're at KAL or something) and he'll look at your certificates and logbook. They may also want to see course completion certificates (like if you went to a part 141 school). From what I've heard the written exam is the hard part and the oral is similar to anything you'd do in an oral over here.

I heard KAL is desperate for pilots. If you are a "Gyo-po", and have a 1000TT you meet their mins to be hired as a local hire.And then they will tell you what you need to do get your Korean License. but keep in mind working in Korea is very different than the US.

The Korean market is very small. I suggest you dont spend too much time and effort on converting your FAA license unless you already have something in the works with KAL or OZ. But I assume thats not the case since, they would be able to provide you the info you are asking for. Good luck.

Nice. Thank you all for the information. I am a gyo-po, came to the states when I was only 2. Unfortunately, I do not have the 1000 hours that KAL requires. I was actually looking into Jeju Air because their 1st officer requirements are very low.. low enough for me to join. I've called them and they told me that I needed to have a Korean pilot's license, a Korean medical, and a Korean radio op... which sucks because I am located in Los Angeles. I have no way of converting these things to the Korean version. After I thought about it for a while, it made sense, they don't want non-Koreans applying for this position. Oh yea, and you need a Korean social number.. or at least a temporary one. I am once again stuck where I started. I would love to become a CFI and grab my hours that way, but I am in quite a hole financially after I graduated college. I've looked into diver driving, aerial photo, banners, everything.. no body is willing to hire a 300 hour pilot. I have no idea what I am going to do.

Nice. Thank you all for the information. I am a gyo-po, came to the states when I was only 2. Unfortunately, I do not have the 1000 hours that KAL requires. I was actually looking into Jeju Air because their 1st officer requirements are very low.. low enough for me to join. I've called them and they told me that I needed to have a Korean pilot's license, a Korean medical, and a Korean radio op... which sucks because I am located in Los Angeles. I have no way of converting these things to the Korean version. After I thought about it for a while, it made sense, they don't want non-Koreans applying for this position. Oh yea, and you need a Korean social number.. or at least a temporary one. I am once again stuck where I started. I would love to become a CFI and grab my hours that way, but I am in quite a hole financially after I graduated college. I've looked into diver driving, aerial photo, banners, everything.. no body is willing to hire a 300 hour pilot. I have no idea what I am going to do.

Did you go to an aviation university?

There are a few survey companies who I know will take you with less than 300 hrs, but I think it's a little late to get started at one of those.. You'd have to wait until next year.

I'd highly recommend you work on that CFI even if you need to take out a loan to do it... You can take that CFI back to Korea and teach at KAU... If that's not a realistic option for you, get your ground instructor certs and apply at KAU to teach groundschool. Maybe it's outsourced to another outfit, but I imagine someone over there needs instructors. (This of course is assuming you speak Korean and can get a Visa there.) That's what I'd start looking into if I were in your position.

I have a couple buddies who got on at OZ with 250 hours... Would that be an option for you?

There are a few survey companies who I know will take you with less than 300 hrs, but I think it's a little late to get started at one of those.. You'd have to wait until next year.

I'd highly recommend you work on that CFI even if you need to take out a loan to do it... You can take that CFI back to Korea and teach at KAU... If that's not a realistic option for you, get your ground instructor certs and apply at KAU to teach groundschool. Maybe it's outsourced to another outfit, but I imagine someone over there needs instructors. (This of course is assuming you speak Korean and can get a Visa there.) That's what I'd start looking into if I were in your position.

I have a couple buddies who got on at OZ with 250 hours... Would that be an option for you?

I would love to grab my CFI ticket, but at this time, I have no way of paying for it. Even banks won't lend me any money since my student debt is so high. I would love to fly for OZ.. that would be a dream.

I would love to grab my CFI ticket, but at this time, I have no way of paying for it. Even banks won't lend me any money since my student debt is so high. I would love to fly for OZ.. that would be a dream.

Well the ground instructor certs are 300... And if you could get on with a school in Korea you might have more luck getting in at one of the air carriers there.. And they might pay for your air law exam.

Well the ground instructor certs are 300... And if you could get on with a school in Korea you might have more luck getting in at one of the air carriers there.. And they might pay for your air law exam.

There are a lot of "ifs" and "mights" in this plan. ;)
I know that KAU doesn't hire ground instructors that don't speak Korean.. and I know enough Korean.. just to get by.
I think I've decided on what I am going to do.. I'm going to sell my car and get my CFI. Hopefully I can get a job as a CFI here in California.

There are a lot of "ifs" and "mights" in this plan. ;)
I know that KAU doesn't hire ground instructors that don't speak Korean.. and I know enough Korean.. just to get by.
I think I've decided on what I am going to do.. I'm going to sell my car and get my CFI. Hopefully I can get a job as a CFI here in California.

I think that sounds like a good plan. Get that CFI and let us know you're looking for a gig. There's a lot of people on here, myself included who would be happy to help you find something.

(This of course is assuming you speak Korean and can get a Visa there.) That's what I'd start looking into if I were in your position.

If he was born there, he should have no problems getting an F-4 visa.

What Aviation University is there in San Diego??

If he was born there, he should have no problems getting an F-4 visa.

What Aviation University is there in San Diego??

I went to San Diego Christian, a small 4 year university that is building their aviation program. I was born in Korea and came out to California when I was only 2. However, I am a US citizen.

I think that sounds like a good plan. Get that CFI and let us know you're looking for a gig. There's a lot of people on here, myself included who would be happy to help you find something.

I appreciate the support and advice! I will do my best do get my CFI asap. God only knows how long it'll take.. but hey, my hearts in the right place haha. Whenever you're out in LA we should "Soju hanjan" :)
Where are you located? Where are you flying?

I went to San Diego Christian, a small 4 year university that is building their aviation program. I was born in Korea and came out to California when I was only 2. However, I am a US citizen.

I appreciate the support and advice! I will do my best do get my CFI asap. God only knows how long it'll take.. but hey, my hearts in the right place haha. Whenever you're out in LA we should "Soju hanjan" :)
Where are you located? Where are you flying?

I'm based on the east coast but commute from the best coast... I'll let you know when I'm in LA, and Soju will happen...

Back