FAA-JAA medical requirements

von_Richthofen

I am a dual 28 year old US and German citizen and am thinking about a career in aviation. Given the fact that I have the right to work in both the US and the EU I am deciding how I should go about getting my flight training. That is, should I get both my FAA and JAA qualifications simultaneously or should I go for one first, then the other and in which order. I have lived most of my life in the US, but have been residing in England since February as my job has sent me to London.

If I were to take the FAA and JAA qualifications, would I need to undergo a medical examination from both an FAA AME and a JAA AME? Or does having one mean that you qualify for the other. The reason I am asking is because I will most likely need to go through the waiver process for a past medical condition I had. I'd like to know if I need to jump through two hoops.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hiya,

I am doing exactly what your thinking of doing, albeit not for medical reasons. I currently live in the UK but am about to embark upon an FAA CPL/IR Course at the end of this month in Florida.

In answer to your question, you will have to do an FAA Class 1 Medical either in the UK (I did mine with a Dr at Fairford) or in the US, before you start FAA training. Once you have gained your FAA CPL/IR then you can go back to the UK and do a JAA Class 1 Medical Renewal at Gatwick.

Hope this helps!

As mentioned, get your FAA Class 1 first, this allows you to get an "extended" renewal as a first issuance JAA Medical, you'll still have to get that done in the EU, I had mine at Gatwick, but the standards are a little looser especially for eyesight where I was marginal for JAA. Once you have it you can renew it in the US, my FAA doc does JAA renewals as well, I can get both at once.

As far as the flight training is concerned, I'd decide where you want to live for several years and go in that direction, the job opportunities are much more in the US, if you want to fly you'll always be able to find some kind of work after you get a CFI certificate.

Back