FAA ends SPE

Never been but these are a couple I may have considered



Looks like no more ratings for Mr Briggs…
gotta wonder if fair an appropriate refunds were given, pro rated or otherwise
 
It wasn’t listed above, but there was one provider who told clients they’d pass their type ride or their money back.

Years of poor jet DPE surveillance from the FAA and not really caring about the abysmal light jet safety record until it made them look bad seems to have turned into rapidly cutting the low hanging fruit off to solve unrelated problems.
 
CE-500 series aren’t exactly rocket science to fly, they are basically a Cessna T-37 with a passenger cabin. Granted, one has to have skill, ability, and very good situational awareness to remain ahead of the aircraft at all times, but it’s not impossible or even unsafe to do single pilot ops in these jets if one possesses the above traits.
 
I wonder if this will be a problem in the future for CJ's, HA-420's, Phenom's, and PC24's.
(and also High performance turbo props)

Yeah, they are CERTIFIED as single pilot and not an exemption.

Up until now, the insurance have limited SP ops in high performance aircraft.

I know that the Phenom, Mustang, and HA-420 have a WAY higher accident/incident rate, mostly due to the owner/operator demographic.

The document in the article stated that:
"This data undermines the threshold requirement for issuance of an exemption, namely that the relief would provide an equivalent level of safety or result in no adverse impact on safety."

The CE-500 rules were a cluster of airplane standards and pilot standards and documentation that evolved and mutated over the years.
I kind of applaud the FAA for doing this.
I had a big long response typed out. Deleted.

Here’s what I know. If you’re riding around with a SIC checked out on a 61.55, you’re single pilot for the first 6 mo to a year anyway.

I’m SP on the 24. Watched a guy “fail” during my last recurrent. Said he’d been flying the airplane for 5 years. I’ve never seen FSI fail anyone in the middle of a ride. Now I have. Said he’d be back to “re-train” later. Day after training finished he flew the airplane SP in EGE.

He’s the Jerry Wagner of the PC24s. I’m legit worried about him.
 
I had a big long response typed out. Deleted.

Here’s what I know. If you’re riding around with a SIC checked out on a 61.55, you’re single pilot for the first 6 mo to a year anyway.

I’m SP on the 24. Watched a guy “fail” during my last recurrent. Said he’d been flying the airplane for 5 years. I’ve never seen FSI fail anyone in the middle of a ride. Now I have. Said he’d be back to “re-train” later. Day after training finished he flew the airplane SP in EGE.

He’s the Jerry Wagner of the PC24s. I’m legit worried about him.

owner operator?
 
owner operator?
Maybe worse? It sounds like he has worked for the company for years. In some aspect. I forget the industry. Then the company wanted the airplane and he was a pilot so they said you’re now our pilot. Tacked it on his duties and called it a day. It looks to me like they fly only about once or twice a month to the exact same places. This EGE trip was an anomaly and they were supposed to be going into ASE but I think the FSI instructor and I spooked him out of going into there.

So it’s like a side job for him. And one that he does infrequently.
 
Maybe worse? It sounds like he has worked for the company for years. In some aspect. I forget the industry. Then the company wanted the airplane and he was a pilot so they said you’re now our pilot. Tacked it on his duties and called it a day. It looks to me like they fly only about once or twice a month to the exact same places. This EGE trip was an anomaly and they were supposed to be going into ASE but I think the FSI instructor and I spooked him out of going into there.

So it’s like a side job for him. And one that he does infrequently.

ok, so future NTSB report.

I'll never get the "I can afford a $17 million plane but cant afford to get a proper crew" mentality.
 
It started out as an honest assessment of Part 91 jet flying and kind of descended into me dogging on my own shop which isn’t really what I wanted or meant to do.

We try hard and the heart of company is I. The right place. And for a 91 shop isn’t that all I could really ask for?

We have FOQA for goodness sake.

FAH Quad...

Straight Statistics without reason.

At lease the GIANT outliers tattle on the biggest screwups.
 
Back
Top