FAA Crackdown...

naunga

FAA tightens procedures for airline pilots who try to fly drunk

Looks like what I've feared is starting to come to pass. As the article says: "There is a higher level of public awareness (about how pilots contribute to safety)"

I actually would say that you could replace awareness with paranoia.

I wonder how long it will be before some pilot is grounded by a false accusation, but the breath tests is skewed by mouthwash etc.

Anyhow found this article interesting.

Naunga

Probably because of the TSA's failure to screen prohibited materials is why they're refocusing on screwing with pilots.

A few months ago, a flight attendant onboard panicked when she realized that she had a sizeable steakknife in her purse. Meanwhile she thought it was in her purse for the past three days (and three seperate security screenings).

FAA Smackdown?
cool.gif

Wow!
That's very scary that TSA is so blatantly incompetent. Aren't they liable for breaches of security like that? You would think that they would have random employees hired to test security in the same way as that FA.
Then again, maybe the whole affair is just a political gambit, made more for improving customer confidence in the airlines than any real security measure.

The problem with the TSA is that they are part of the gov't. A we all know what happens when the gov't gets involved. Most of the screeners are the same ones that were they before with the contract companies and they probably sat in on a class or two about what to look for. Chances are there was no real "training". I know they collect alot of stuff at the checkpoints but I am sure plenty still gets through and would considered a "danger to the flight". The TSA screeners cause more delays and missed flights than you can ever imagine. Nothing like being ready for pushback and the gate agent or SEC( the old red coats) comes down and says hey we need the bag for this passenger or passengers they havent made to the gate from security. Here are the bag tag numbers find the bags. Sure its only a 757 with 200+ bags no problem it will but just a few minutes and 20 mins later you find it. So much for ontime departure. I am sure Doug knows what I am talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
That's very scary that TSA is so blatantly incompetent. Aren't they liable for breaches of security like that? You would think that they would have random employees hired to test security in the same way as that FA.
Then again, maybe the whole affair is just a political gambit, made more for improving customer confidence in the airlines than any real security measure.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno.. does the gov't even have a QA/QC process? i doubt it cuz, from what i know, if your in the gov't the likeliness that you'll get fired approaches zero... it's considered a "safe" job, so QA/QC probably wouldn't do any good!!

but it would be a good idea to have someone there actually QCing all of the TSA's moves so at least they could get written up for inappropriate behavior or what not...

Ah, Kristie shows her training. Engineering!!! QC circles, takes me back to my IBM days.

That stuff works darn well... so much so that I don't think the govt would ever try it.

Back