FA vs FA

Good golly, even at Eagle, I paid for my own ####! I don't want a free ride, and I sure as hell don't want some guy thinking I owe him ANYTHING just cause he bought me a martini! (There were a few exceptions to this, as I'll tell below....)

At both Eagle and AA we all often went out together, and we almost always got separate checks. That way everyone pays for their own, no questions asked.

Once nice CA in particular took us all (a full F-100 crew, so 4 of us) out out to dinner and before I could say "separate checks please" he told us he had it. It was the F/O's first trip off IOE (this was summer 2001, AA was hiring pilots at the time), it was the other F/A and my second month online with AA and he was feeling generous. Another time a CA (another F-100 guy) in YYZ picked up our entire bar tab.... it was well over $100. He outright refused money from ALL of us, F/O included who tried to give him $. He took a liking to me because I showed him our signature recipe for martinis. I lost track at 5 of those martinis between the 2 of us.... I miss the F-100, the crews on that plane were the shiznit. It was just like Eagle, only with more pay, better hotels, longer overnights and food!

Several captains round hur routinely takes the crew out to dinner and pays for everyone.

We always get separate checks, except for this one CA, who always pays for the entire crew, just about every time. And, no, he certainly doesn't expect anything in return. EVER. Besides with the age difference between us, the only thing I'd be giving him is milk and cookies before tucking him in! ;)

My wife and I had a conversation recently about whether a girl feels pressure to "put out" if a guy buys dinner/movie, etc. She said it's been so long since she's been out on a date that she couldn't remember. Of course, I think we both had different thoughts on the subject! :)

It's cause chicks dig you man.

It's the "No, seriously, I'm happily married. For reals, girl" that kills 'em! :)

(text from Kristie in 3...2....1....)

I got lucky with my wife...I definitely married up, like you Doug. The best part though, no drama, no bull#$%^, no princess complex. Life is good...even after 14 years (we were married at 22).

My wife and I had a conversation recently about whether a girl feels pressure to "put out" if a guy buys dinner/movie, etc. She said it's been so long since she's been out on a date that she couldn't remember. Of course, I think we both had different thoughts on the subject! :)

My girlfriend and I had the same discussion last week after I bought dinner. So last night she paid, and I felt obligated to put out. Either way... :nana2:

I got lucky with my wife...I definitely married up, like you Doug. The best part though, no drama, no bull#$%^, no princess complex. Life is good...even after 14 years (we were married at 22).

Hey, ching-ching, amigo! ;)

You know, I'm from a family of all boys, we apparently have very similar wives (high on logic, low on soap opera-esque drama) so you know the "Like ZOMG, I'm going to like apply for the Real World Hollywood and become a star, start a fashion line and raise the cutest puppies on the sunny side of the moon and win the lottery next week" types drive both you and I nuts.

Dude,
You think you have it bad having to listen to them at dinner? I get to hear the other side, after the wife comes home from another trip as A line with a newbie on board. I get to hear all the stupid stuff the poor girl did and how my wife feels bad but she had to rip her a new one. The latest one was a LOD speaker who almost blew two slides on an 88, the second one right after my wife told her NOT to touch the door.

Sounds like you need to get on that......taking your wife on a date, that is. :)

Easy there all you pervs, the guy's happily married! :panic:

We always get separate checks, except for this one CA, who always pays for the entire crew, just about every time. And, no, he certainly doesn't expect anything in return. EVER. Besides with the age difference between us, the only thing I'd be giving him is milk and cookies before tucking him in! ;)

Who is Seggy...

:)

Good golly, even at Eagle, I paid for my own ####! I don't want a free ride, and I sure as hell don't want some guy thinking I owe him ANYTHING just cause he bought me a martini! (There were a few exceptions to this, as I'll tell below....)
The funny thing is that girls now a days don't have that same ol' school mentality we do. I have a younger girlfriend (my hair stylist actually) that when we hang out, has no problem just taking the drink and walking away without saying thanks when she's at the bar....I think it's the whole same entitlement theory. it's really kind of strange.

shoot, i think i'd still have a problem with it considering the dangers of ruffies and all out there.

Interesting thing about getting dinner/drinks on an overnight....
Back when i was brand new and still on 1st year pay-
There was one really cool captain that his thing was he would buy dinner and the 1st round of drinks for the new guy to help ease the burden and welcome the new person in.
It was a really cool gesture-and something he said to think about when the new person becomes a captain and flies with a new hire.

Oh I understand. When I was a freshman at Southernjets, I usually had to put up a stink in order to pay for my own food and beer. I just got a massive raise from my last job at Skyway and it was the most money I've ever made but captains and FO's insisted on helping the new guy thru his probationary year. But that was in the late 1990's and captain's actually had some phat loot.

BUT, here's the dichotomy. Domestic on a small three-crew regional jet and international on a 11-plus crew internetational flight are two different things because of the scale.

An small jet crew goes out, well, it's probably a shorter layover in a relatively inexpensive city and there's usually only one or two new hires.

However, when you're dragging an airplane of 11 people into a city like London where there are primarily new hire flight attendants, it's a lot different. If they expect it, consider that a cocktail might easily run $8 to $10 USD, times up to 8. So if the skipper buys a round of drinks, it's a hefty amount of change. Kind of hard to justify to the wife how you spent a couple hundred smackaroos on a layover.

It was a tradition, which largely dissolved into a courtesy after paycut-apolooza, especially since it's been reported that some inflight field service managers allay the new hires fear of making very little and laying over in very expensive cities, coupled with a laughably weak American dollar (it's bad :(), that if they (and I quote) "...just hang out with the pilots, they'll take care of you..."

If I do buy a round, it's out of camaraderie amongst the crew, not because of guilt. Perhaps if I was making $200/hr again, fantastic international override and a strong American dollar, it might be a little different. But I don't hang out in large groups anyway because people get a little ridiculous. Four or five for the wrecking crew, max! :)

Great points Doug!. There is a HUGE difference between our crews and yours. :)
Just so no one thinks I'm a moocher--I did chip in with another FA to pay for drinks/appetizers for the CA who treated us on 2 day trip! He fought it, but we prevailed. :D
And, I have bought meals for both a CA and FO at different times. Once was when we had a mx issue and he stayed on the plane but was hungry so I brought it back for him. Once was when an FO realized he had no $ on him in the cafeteria on a very quick turn, so I paid for it. Both are nice guys and I had no problem doing it--like Doug says, just paying it forward. ;)

Back