F9 Jumps into a cold pool again...

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
Bankrupt Frontier Airlines will ground seven planes and reduce seats by 17 percent as it scrambles to blunt the effect of rising fuel prices.

The moves could result in 700 or more job cuts in Denver — which is about 17 percent of its local work force — although the carrier said it is still determining how many positions will be affected.

The carrier also will look to give up some gates at its hub in Denver International Airport, where it ranks as the second-largest airline.

Frontier joins a long and growing list of airlines that are trimming capacity and shedding planes amid high fuel costs.

The company did not say how much it expects to save by elminating roughly two dozen flights

so purchasing tickets to NJC on them might not be a good idea....?:eek:

Damn...Frontier is such a good company with great people. I hate seeing them in trouble, even after we pulled our planes with them. I'm a fan of Southwest and their people.....but I'm not a fan of what Southwest is doing to these guys in Denver. I think they smell blood in the water and they want that terminal.

Southwest... I think they smell blood in the water and they want that terminal.

This quote came from another forum that I frequent. It's purely heresay and third party info... but it follows your line of thinking.

I jump seated on WN last night and the Captain told me that Southwest is going to strike hard while the legacies retreat. They are planning on hiring about 300 this year and are starting service to the Bahamas and Mexico. Speculation is a Denver base when Frontier goes away. Has anyone heard something similar from Southwest pilots?

Bob

Damn...Frontier is such a good company with great people. I hate seeing them in trouble, even after we pulled our planes with them. I'm a fan of Southwest and their people.....but I'm not a fan of what Southwest is doing to these guys in Denver. I think they smell blood in the water and they want that terminal.

Why should they not want that terminal? Its a free market economy. Its called competition. F9 is SWA's competitor. Why would SWA sit back and hope F9 recovers?

LUV isn't doing anything. F9 is unhedged and fuel is killing them. LUV is just picking up the pieces. They're the only ones who were smart enough to get into the commodities (oil futures) business YEARS ago.

LUV has cosistently made MORE money on hedges than on airline operations for at least 5 years.

Yeah, sucks how they take advantage of business opportunities like Denver, Philly and Pittsburgh at the expense of companies not doing well. Might be why they've managed to make it in the industry so far. You can bet United would do the same thing if they were in a position to do so. It's called competition. If you don't like it, you're in the wrong business. It's not like SWA is undercutting them to get the gates or passengers. They're just taking advantage of a situation. Can't fault them for that.

Maybe I should clarify. I love Southwest. I would totally take a job there in a heartbeat if it came along. I think their management is smart and they hire an awesome group of people.

That being said, they've been cutting their ticket fares out of DEN so low, as to purposely drive business from Frontier. Thats what I think sucks for Frontier. Even if I worked for Southwest right now, I'd probably still feel pretty bad everytime I walked past an F9 pilot in Denver. Business is business, as is the cut throat world of the Airlines.

None the less, you still have to have some sympathy for F9 and their employees.

This quote came from another forum that I frequent. It's purely heresay and third party info... but it follows your line of thinking.

Bob

The rumor of a crew base in DEN for SWA was also related to me today, however, the FA who told me this didn't indicate whether it was predicated on Frontier's demise. It's certainly a rumor, yes, but not wholly unthinkable.

Remember SWA moved into phl bc they throught they could finish airways. They couldn't and they reduced their flights out of philly a few months ago. Who knows what will happen out in den, but it is a free market.

It sucks but Frontier is not above doing these types of things either. Look back 10 years ago when they played some dirty pool and forced Western Pacific out of business.

Remember SWA moved into phl bc they throught they could finish airways. They couldn't and they reduced their flights out of philly a few months ago. Who knows what will happen out in den, but it is a free market.

I would challenge to say that SWA moving into PHL and trying to knock off a Major (US Airways), is far different than moving into Denver to knock off another low cost carrier. Now, if they were moving into Denver to knock off United. . .you might have some traction.

Just a thought.

I would challenge to say that SWA moving into PHL and trying to knock off a Major (US Airways), is far different than moving into Denver to knock off another low cost carrier. Now, if they were moving into Denver to knock off United. . .you might have some traction.

Just a thought.

Why worry? This is purely hyperbolic sarcasm, but it seems like United and Frontier are killing themselves...SWA doesn't need to do a damn thing to help that along except capitalize on opportunities as they arise.

Which is, if any of us were the CEO of SWA, would be what we were obligated to do anyway...

I'm not worrying. . .

My intent was to provide a better analogy than the one originally utilized.

LCC vs. Major (One stated by MattB)

LCC vs. LCC (One that is actually occuring, but some can of course say that SWA is moving into Denver to also impact United - true - but United isn't in a position to absolutely LEAVE Denver and cease to exist by SWA moving into the territory - Frontier is)

So if business is business then why do you guys get all pissed off when a 200 hour GoJetter helps GoJets get flying that should have gone to TSA?

Business is business right?

Back