F.W.S. (Flying While Sleeping)

Rodelu

Check this out! >>
crazy.gif
Article
frown.gif

15 seconds? You call that asleep?

Another good reason to keep video cameras out of cockpits.

I wonder if they had permission to use those portable electronic devices?

Does anybody know where I can find the cartoon where the caption at the bottom say something like, "The Captain monitors the overhead panal while the FO checks the Window Heat." The picture shows the Captain, with his head back, his tounge hanging out, and he's got drool runing down his face, and the FO has his head resting, fase plastered against the R1 window.

One of my old Captains kept that cartoon........I laughed so hard when I saw it, I wish I made a copy of it.

That cartoon sounds hilarious! Love the concept.
Speaking of flying and sleeping, to digress abit, last night I had the weirdest flying dream. First of all it had my ex-wife and old roomie in it but anyway, I had a bunch odd strap on flying devices piled on the ground for me to test out.
The first one I flew was a strap on twin engine. The engines were the size of those little tiny electric outboard ones. It sounded like a hedgetrimmer. As I'm trying to take off with full power, I realize that I won't lift off until I pull my dragging feet out of the water.(where'd the water come from?!!) Then as I pull my feet up, sure enough I lift off and go! Then of course I am now over a dirt 1/4 mile track, but it handled well and the sensation of flight was great at 10' off the ground!
But, I've digressed from the subject long enough, but couldn't resist adding that because it is still so fresh in my mind.(still waking up)
How 'bout those sleeping pilots...

[ QUOTE ]
15 seconds? You call that asleep?

Another good reason to keep video cameras out of cockpits.

I wonder if they had permission to use those portable electronic devices?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 15 seconds only applies to how long they filmed him sleeping. In the news report, the passengers say it was from shortly after takeoff to just prior to touchdown. also, last I checked, cameras are not banned for use under the portable electronic devices....

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Jones, Walker’s Aviation General Manager says, "His eyes are closed, and he’s not moving. That’s clear to me. But fifteen seconds isn’t definitive."

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess thats the length of the video, but that's the evidence presented. The article does not say how long he was asleep. It also says he had a co-pilot sitting next to him. So what's the big deal?

I have slept in the cockpit before (sounds of shock and awe!!!). Yeah I have. It wasn't my leg and I dozed off here and there, but I told my FO I was going to do it and to hit me if he needed me. When you are doing 11 legs a day back and forth over the same routes, 15 hr duty days, 4 days in a row, you tell me if you can stay awake the whole time!

Anyway, doing this flight 8 times a day 5 days a week must get pretty tired. You know darn well that Walker Aviation doesn't give them any more rest periods than the absolute minimum required!

I have worked on a golf course for the previous 9 summers. For the last 5 I have been mowing fairways 4 days a week, 7 hours a day starting at 5:30 AM. The fairway mower has a diesel engine and is extremely loud. I can fall asleep on that thing as if I am sleeping in my bed. I can't count how many times I fell asleep and veered off into the intermediate cut and scalped the crap out of it. The boss never said anything, but it looked ugly and I felt bad.

I look at my experience as a mower not much different than a pilots job. At times they can be very repetitious and very boring which makes it easier to fall asleep.

The pilot who got caught sleeping shouldn't get in trouble, especially since there was a FO on board.

[ The pilot who got caught sleeping shouldn't get in trouble, especially since there was a FO on board.

[/ QUOTE ] Shouldn't, It doesn't change the regs want one thinks should or shouldn't do.

Where in the regs does it say you can't nod off? lol

Obviously I haven't seen the video, but he could have just resting his eyes. If the video shows the pilot's head leaning to either side with no muscular control, I would call that nodding off. Extended leaning would be sleeping, but the video is 15 seconds so you can't tell. My prediction, he will keep his job.

I think it would be tough to find an airline pilot who hasn't taken a nap while enroute.

If a pilot nod's off behind closed doors, thats one thing. However, If he sleeps right in front of passengers paying for his service, It looks very unprofessional. This shows that he obviously dosen't take his job seriously. I would fire his ass and give it to someone who does!

Like he said, it would be hard to find a professional pilot that hasn't nodded off. I have had flight instructors who nod off all the time.

I nod of all the time and thats when I'm alone, no wait, no I don't can the FAA track this
grin.gif

Back