F/O walk arounds

I (FE) would do the most intense walkaround, the co-pilot would do a moderate walkaround, the Aircraft Commander would do a quick "kick the tires, light the fires" walkaround.
Three sets of eyes are better than one set.

Here at UPS, the Capt does the walkaround on the B757/767/A300/MD11. However, he can dictate that duty to the f/o. Some Capt's alternate the walkaround with the f/o. I typically always do the walkaround for no other reason than personal habit.

If the f/o ask to do it I certainly don't have a problem with it. One actually perferred to do the walkaround come rain or shine and I let him do it the entire 2 month bid period for every flight. You should have seen the expression on his face the first time he came into the cockpit and asked if I had completed the FMC/IRS setup and other preflight duties that he would normally do while I was preflighting the exterior. My response, as I was sipping on a Pepsi, "Oh, was I suppose to do something while you were walking around outside?"
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
In case you didn't detect my tongue in cheek...That was a joke folks!
laugh.gif

I think that my worst pre-flight experience was early morning in Detroit in January. Sub-zero temperatures and gusty winds blowing off the lake. It was the coldest place that I have ever been.

And normally I do carry earplugs, but when doing a pre- or post-flight, I'm only around the GPU for a couple of minutes so I don't normally put them in. I wear them when I'm around noise for an extended period.

The best place to stand is under the A/C pack exhaust on the 757. Ive spent many nights this winter keeping warm under that thing.

I usually do a walk around before depature. Mostly what I find is open panels. One time we sent an RJ out with the air start door open. Nobody noticed it untill it was taxing away. I think I scared the s**t out of the pilots when I chased them down with my bag tractor and waved them back to the gate.

Osan,Korea......It was so cold......HOW COLD WAS IT?......It was so cold, when the Air Force fuel truck driver ran my military fuel credit card through the little mechancial credit card machine, the credit card shattered into a thousand pieces.
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Osan,Korea......It was so cold......HOW COLD WAS IT?......It was so cold, when the Air Force fuel truck driver ran my military fuel credit card through the little mechancial credit card machine, the credit card shattered into a thousand pieces.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nooooo way! That is insanely cold.
shocked.gif

Back