F.I.T Flight Instructor Needed

I thought that might have to do with it, but JustinA is in Tennessee so I doubt location is an issue for them.

Oh well, maybe they'll do more calls tomorrow.

I'm a flight student at Florida Tech about to graduate this Saturday. From what I know, F.I.T. Aviation, LLC, the airside subsidiary to Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, Florida, is on a downhill slide with respect to University student enrollment, which accounts for a large chunk of its business, in addition to over-the-counter services and training. However, they may or may not be attempting to secure an ab initio FAA/JAA training contract of sorts with an overseas flight school that may potentially boost primary flight training numbers (Private/Commercial) as soon as January. In addition, a new Director and subsequent management shuffles have changed the structure and operation of the place very recently. Rumors in the mill are that part-time instructors may be let go and an army of full availability instructors may be picked up, but I have no evidence to support that claim.

The fleet has been partially updated with a mixed-age fleet of Cadets/Warriors, Arrows, Seminoles, and some specialty aircraft like a Citabria, Cirrus SR-22 G2, and some Cessna's on the ramp on lease-back from private owners. The forecast plan is to eliminate the Arrow from the fleet since the University Board of Directors has elected to revise the syllabus on campus so that students earn a Commercial (AMEL) initially to advertise our graduates have more multi time and therefore the school has no need for a retractable gear single. Presently there are 5 seminoles I think, 1 steam gauge and 4 Avidyne glass, and a slew of 30-40 Warriors, with maybe 5-10 of those with Avidyne glass cockpits.

There is also a new FBO complex being constructed as we speak and an optimistic ribbon-cutting may take place in the February time frame, at which point FIT Aviation will have a new home. A lot of changes are taking place but the University alliance keeps a relatively consistent supply of students available for the CFIs on staff. When a student finishes Private, they do their Instrument. Then Commercial. Then many go the CFI route. Present pay scale is in the ball park of $19/hr starting pay for an instructor with at least two ratings (CFI/CFII, CFI/MEI, CFII/MEI) with pay raises in 6 or 12 month intervals. In years past, flight instructors at FIT Aviation also qualified for tuition benefits at Florida Tech in the same way that a University employee receives tuition remission benefits. That has often been offered as a lure to bring people in and if supply is greater than demand, it may not be a part of the benefits package anymore.

From what I have been told, instructing here is "easy" in the Part 141 atmosphere because the majority of the flight students are deep in the books as a result of their on campus studies and most already know the majority of the ground knowledge necessary for each rating when their time at the flight line comes along. So ground time is a formality to meet 141 syllabus requirements for each lesson unless a student genuinely does not grasp something or breezed by a campus class without effort applied. Occasionally a CFI might come across a spoiled rich kid that expects to be spoon-fed everything and only wants to know enough to pass the tests, but you'll run into that scenario just about anywhere.

I have my gripes as well as my good memories, and can give insight into the employer from the customer's point of view for the past 3-4 years. PM me if you want more info. Cheers.

Ahhh lol I wish it were so. You still teach ground lessons to the same extent as you would anywhere else, instructing here is no different than anyother Part 141 school.

The rest that was said above is about 90% true. Take it for what you will but I like it here, I enjoy going to work and plan to stay for as long as they'll have me.

Ah...fellow FIT guys hows it going? Man so I see that they are pretty well staffed huh. Man my last year there they were practically BEGGING guys to instruct there (that was during the hiring boom though) Ill have call my good friend Carlton Mcclean (im sure you guys know who that is) and see how things are going there.

Oh yeah and so I hear they are getting (or already have) mostly new all glass cockpit planes, must be nice. Im sure the price has just gone through the roof though.

There is a significance to the Monday, January 5th date. Spring 2009 classes at Florida Tech commence the following Monday, January 12th, and the business week in between serves as a formal Standardization period for recently hired instructors. If hired and asked to be there on that date, be prepared for written exams, oral exams, and practical "check rides" in company aircraft throughout the week. Standardization applies to your pertinent ratings/certifications, so if you're a CFI/CFII/MEI, be ready for three of everything.

Current geographic location should not make a difference in their hiring decisions. In my 4 years at Florida Tech as an undergrad, my Flight 1 instructor was an FIT alum and commissioned Army ROTC officer, my flight 2 instructor was from the Ohio region I think, my flight 3 instructor was from St. Croix USVI, my flight 4 instructor was from Jamaica, my multi instructor was from Wisconsin i think... You get the point.

And Carlton is still there, he is one of the more senior flight instructors. He's a great guy with high expectations - he did my 141 CFI oral and practical end-of-course test.

Arrows are being completely phased out with the possibility of keeping one on the line for over-the-counter rentals. One steam-gauge Seminole is still here (880FT) but they scrapped the other two in some way. 881, 882, 883, and 884FT are four new seminoles with Avidyne Entegra flight decks and S-Tec autopilots. Gradually, the entire fleet is also being outfitted with the new ELT antennas that broadcast on 406MHz. A lot of the dual-GPS-equipped aircraft had one unit removed and they were spread out across the Warriors to make more of them GPS-capable. Still no ADS-B anywhere in the near future. I think maybe a handful of the new Warriors and maybe 1 Seminole have glass cockpit subscriptions like JeppCharts and topography and what not, but most of them come with barebones packages and outdated subscriptions. I'm almost positive you still need paper charts to legally fly IFR, no Electronic Flight Bag gizmos yet.

The 141 side of the house left the old Jeppesen paper portfolio record-keeping method and transitioned to that Talon Systems ETA web-based program in the Summer/Fall timeframe of 2006. Scheduling, logbooks, currencies, qualifications, messages/primitive email service, records and tallies of everything and anything from night landings to IFR approaches to Biannual Flight Reviews, is all available at the click of a mouse. The program syncs with TotalFBO at the Customer Service side of the house for paying for lessons.

Any other questions, I could answer them or easily find out.

Interviews are being held the latter of this week and most of next week. From what I was told by Willene when scheduling my own interview, there will be a panel of individuals: Willene (HR), Jason (Chief Flight Instructor), one or more of the Assistant Chief Flight Instructors, and possibly Nick, the new Director of FIT Aviation.

If hired and asked to be there on that date, be prepared for written exams, oral exams, and practical "check rides" in company aircraft throughout the week. Standardization applies to your pertinent ratings/certifications, so if you're a CFI/CFII/MEI, be ready for three of everything.

wow, you make standardization sound... intense. Its really not. Very laid back if you can fly :)

Good luck to all who had interviews and those who PMd me. Hope to see you all next semester!

Good luck all, it looks like a great place to work. I stopped by there a few times during my students cross countries.

I'm in too! See y'all in January! I was told they're looking for 4 new instructors to start in January and possibly a few more in February.

Previous FIT instructor right here...2 years and some 800hours dual given including primary, instrument, commercial and CFI/CFII.

FIT is a good school and your prospective students will have a real desire to learn. As always a collegiate based flight program will have issues with how to work with students on balancing their academics along with their flight program responsibilities.

Willene is great and for those that have applied but have not heard back or were denied, its only because there is a large desire to be part of the crew that there just isnt enough room.

For those that got a class/standardization date...enjoy. Its days of borrig crap but really you will learn to just go with the flow. I suggest those that have dates show up with a good handle on their sign-offs for students as well as regs and procedures and manuvers. Learning the aircraft if your not familiar with the airframes will come with time.

If anyone has a question, let me know...im still friends with a few of the Asst Chief Flight instructors and some of the instructors there now are my previous students.

Back