F/A-18E Crash off VA Beach

It is nice that at the end of the video, when she says "the cause is not known" they go ahead and flash a still photo of the apartment crash wreckage from a couple years back.

On an unrelated note, it seems that the Navy favors the two seat F model over the single seat E model. @///AMG any idea why?

I'm not entirely sure that is the case, but if it is, that is because there are still a bunch of us C squadrons running around too. Each air wing has one 2-seat squadron, and three single seat squadrons in it's composition (whether those be C or E). Only all Super Hornet air wing right now (at least to my knowledge) is CAG-5 in Japan. 3 E squadrons and 1 F. For reference, most have 1 F, 2 C, and 1 E......or sometimes 1 F, 1 C and 2 E

I'm not entirely sure that is the case, but if it is, that is because there are still a bunch of us C squadrons running around too. Each air wing has one 2-seat squadron, and three single seat squadrons in it's composition (whether those be C or E). Only all Super Hornet air wing right now (at least to my knowledge) is CAG-5 in Japan. 3 E squadrons and 1 F. For reference, most have 1 F, 2 C, and 1 E......or sometimes 1 F, 1 C and 2 E

Okay. I just always see the two seater represented in media, which made me form my conclusion.

Pukin' Dogs is all Rhinos, no?

Pukin' Dogs is all Rhinos, no?

Yeah, all operational squadrons are one type only......as in each squadron is either C, E, or F......or D for some Marine squadrons. Actually, the Marines are weird and on occasion have single seat squadrons with a couple two seaters in the mix, but I think that was just due to limited assets. On the Navy side, the only commands that fly more than one type of Hornet are VFA-106, VX's, and NSAWC/TOPGUN....so non-operational squadrons.

Yeah, all operational squadrons are one type only......as in each squadron is either C, E, or F......or D for some Marine squadrons. Actually, the Marines are weird and on occasion have single seat squadrons with a couple two seaters in the mix, but I think that was just due to limited assets. On the Navy side, the only commands that fly more than one type of Hornet are VFA-106, VX's, and NSAWC/TOPGUN....so non-operational squadrons.

Isn't FRS VFA 122 also mixed?

Do you fly the Hornet or the Growler?

For the Air Force and Air Guard F-16 units, the bulk of the airframes are single seaters, there are just one or two two-seaters. This is even in Wild Weasel units...Unlike the Navy counter part, the two seat F-18G (Growler). Oops...I guess the lingo is EA-18G.

For the Air Force and Air Guard F-16 units, the bulk of the airframes are single seaters, there are just one or two two-seaters. This is even in Wild Weasel units...Unlike the Navy counter part, the two seat F-18G (Growler). Oops...I guess the lingo is EA-18G.

Consider our "Hornet" community to be the sum total of your F-16, F-16CJ, F-15C, and F-15E world since some form of the F/A-18 is all we really have nowadays.......I'd guess it is a similar spread between single seat and two seat, though obviously your numbers are greater overall. In other words, I would probably most closely liken the legacy USN F/A-18C community (mine) which is entirely single seat, to the F-16 community on the AF side.....at least in terms of mission, capabilities, etc, save the Wild Weasel part. What I will say is that it seems like you do have operational -15C squadrons that have a -D or two in the inventory, which is not the case on the USN side. Is that correct?

Every time I read these threads I cry a little inside for turning down a pilot opportunity in the Air Force up here...

Jealousy abounds

Consider our "Hornet" community to be the sum total of your F-16, F-16CJ, F-15C, and F-15E world since some form of the F/A-18 is all we really have nowadays.......I'd guess it is a similar spread between single seat and two seat, though obviously your numbers are greater overall. In other words, I would probably most closely liken the legacy USN F/A-18C community (mine) which is entirely single seat, to the F-16 community on the AF side.....at least in terms of mission, capabilities, etc, save the Wild Weasel part. What I will say is that it seems like you do have operational -15C squadrons that have a -D or two in the inventory, which is not the case on the USN side. Is that correct?
Yeah, AF F-15C squadrons have a D or two (from what I've seen). Of the F-15E is the Strike, and always a two seater. Why that airframe wasn't the Weasel platform, but instead a single seat F-16 is...I'll never understand.

Back