Eye Problem

francis03

hello,

I have just gotten back from the eye doctor for a regular check-up and new prescription glasses. He advised me that my vision is 20/25 corrected and, so far, that's the best the glasses can do. I'm aware that I need 20/20 for a class 1 medical. So, does this mean that my dream of becoming an airline pilot is over? Is there anything else I can do to achieve 20/20 vision?

I just want to know if I should continue on this path. I'm currently 19 years old, a sophomore in college, and working on my instrument rating with approximately 115 hrs. I just don't wanna go down and invest money in something that I have no future in

Thank you

It would be worth a visit to an ophthalmologist to discuss refractive surgery. Can you get refractive surgery then be corrected to 20/20 with glasses if necessary after surgery? That is the question to ask.

Hopefully it all works out for you. Listen to the Doc and see if the surgery can get it corrected. Good luck!

It would be worth a visit to an ophthalmologist to discuss refractive surgery. Can you get refractive surgery then be corrected to 20/20 with glasses if necessary after surgery? That is the question to ask.

Wilco...

I was wondering if there are any "good" flying careers that don't require a class 1 medical. Also, I have read from past posts about SODAs, and was wondering as to what they are.

First, the 2nd class vision requirements are the same a a 1st class medical. As to other flying careers, I will leave that to those on the board who fly for a living.

A SODA is a Statement of Demonstrated Ability. You actually prove to the FAA you can do a specific task.

Would a SODA apply given my present situation?

By refractive surgery, did you mean Lasik?

Pardon my ignorance :)

The FAA may issue a SODA for this but they usually only do it if one eye is 20/20 and the other is 20/25.

Yes I meant LASIK.

ok... thanks a million.
I was just about ready to give up, until I posted here and learned that there is hope (albeit, little)

Thanks again

Back