Extremely Mild Autism

Looks like a kid whose parents never learned to properly punish for bad behavior.

Agree in part, but it's far more of environmental related issues. Some background he grew up watching his parent argue and fight physically in front of each other. His dad would beat his mother bloody, and would also beat on him and his siblings. His upbringing was chaos, no structure. This is classic abuse/trauma. His neighborhood was the same, he had no refuge. Save that of his grandmothers house. He's all impulse, he's detached, has no remorse, no empathy at all for his actions, attention seeking and he gets off on pain and violence towards others. He's acting out negative behavior that he's seen/known his whole life. These are the actions/makings of a sociopath, but psychological science states that you can't be diagnosed as such, at such a young age. That's why this is a great case study into Oppositional Defiance Disorder and also Conduct disorder. Both are psychological pre-diagnosis for sociopathy/psychopathy.

There is no fix for behavioral related disorders. No magic pills, only intense psychotherapy, for teaching coping skills.

So there's no fix for behavioral related disorders but you can teach them how to cope with them. In other words, you teach them new behaviors so they can cope with the fact they cannot help their behavior? So can people learn new behavior or can't they? If they can learn new behavior, then isn't that a fix?

So there's no fix for behavioral related disorders but you can teach them how to cope with them. In other words, you teach them new behaviors so they can cope with the fact they cannot help their behavior? So can people learn new behavior or can't they? If they can learn new behavior, then isn't that a fix?

Victims of trauma/abuse, more especially children. Who's brain growth doesn't stop (read: fully developed) until the early twenties. So children affected by abuse with brains still growing, it can maladaptively affect their brain chemistry, and it's effects are irreversible. This is what negatively affects, thinking and rationale related to personality/behavior. What coping skills teach is a recognition and acceptance of the maladaptive biochemical change, and it's affect on personality. And provide skills to recognize and manage/prevent negative behaviors. And example of biochemical change related to abuse would be a child who was biologically heterosexual who was sexually molested by a member of the same sex, and now relates as homosexual.

An example of a coping skill change would be an alcoholic who is now clean, but recognizes that he/she should stay clear of a bar. Or to stay away from alcoholic friends he/she used to drink with. That is a low-level example of a coping skill. They accept that they're an alcoholic, and not like everyone else and they can't just casually go to a bar and hang out if they want to stay clean. Also a psychologist is going to want to use extensive psychotherapy, to help the patient talk about their past trauma. Lots of guilt, shame and feelings of powerlessness are often associated with it, and their victims turn to drugs and other addictive vices as a means of distraction and self-medication.

One of the biggest problem with personality disorder, more especially the more popular ones in the dramatic spectrum of the cluster B. That include Borderline Personality disorder, Sociopathy/Anti-Social personality disorder. Multiple personality disorder, and Narcissistic Personality disorder. Is that hubris is especially strong with them. They use it as a shield to protect their pride, and their shame and over-all feelings of powerlessness and low self-esteem. Their thinking, rationale is often times completely skewed. Absolute thinking or also known as Black & White thinking. Or they think they're perfect, that there's, nothings wrong with them. It's you who has to problem. So they either don't accept their faults and go to counseling, or if the do, they don't complete the process. Or they use it simply as a means to make it all about them for dramatic, negative attention seeking purposes. All the disorders in the Cluster B spectrum are very attention seeking individuals, they thrive on attention, they need it.

The key to coping skills working IMO is to get the person in psychotherapy as a youth, while their brain is still growing. They can be taught, the young mind is more malleable than a fully formed adults brain. It can greatly help, but it isn't assured. But most times for whatever reason in cases like this if any help is sought at all, due largely to shame, guilt et al. it's later in life when the establish maladaptive personality is already firmly entrenched.

The grandmother in the videos above stated that she wanted to get her grandson help early. So here is the happy ending to at least this one story.

Hi, I'm considering entering my college's aviation program and I was wondering how reasonable it would be to expect to get a first class medical. I was diagnosed with autism many years ago. I am aware of at least one case where someone on the spectrum was granted a second class airman medical certificate (see link below).

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...ons/designee_types/ame/fasmb/media/autism.pdf

I don't know all the facts about his condition, but I'd say my autism is similarly mild if not actually milder! I lack many of the classic symptoms of autism. I have no sensory sensitivity issues. I enjoy meeting new people, socializing with friends, and talking with others. I am also quite emotionally stable and not prone to emotional outbursts.

I am intellectually and academically gifted, maintaining a 4.0 college GPA. I drive my own car too and recently drove over 2,500 miles round trip on spring break by myself. I have never taken any medications and am self-independent.

Basically, I'm one of the most neurotypical people on the spectrum you'll ever come across, however paradoxical that may sound. Many people would never suspect me to be autistic. I've actually wondered if I couldn't get my diagnosis removed, or at least reclassified by a psychological professional. My symptoms may have been more pronounced at one time, but I seem to have largely outgrown them.

Considering the unique circumstances I present, what is your professional opinion regarding my eligibility for a first class medical? I'm confident I have the capabilities to learn to fly and safely operate a large airliner, but would deeply appreciate an answer straight from the horse's mouth. lol See, I understand idioms too. Seriously though, what do you think?

I am the parent of an Autistic son and I think if you want to continue in this profession you might want to consider a test battery with professionals in the psychological community to show that you have no Autistic behavior. Diagnostic classification of Autism is solely based on behavior. (At least it was when my son was diagnosed). It is not based on some feeling, or perception by you or by others, it is only recognizable behavior that can support a diagnosis. There are assessments that will ask about feelings and attempt to determine your level of empathy and connectedness or disconnectedness to others. These however are supporting and not basic diagnostic criteria. Google; DSM-IV. That's the diagnostic and statistical manual version 4 and search for Autism. It will define the diagnosis and cover the basis for Autistic diagnostic criteria and define those standardized tests used to reach that diagnosis. That will tell you what you are up against. The FAA will believe the tests outcomes as proof if they are properly administered and certified. To my way of thinking, that would seem to be a way to clear your way to the pilot's seat if that is what you want.

slightly off topic but...

https://chaoticpharmacology.com/201...ent-in-psychiatry-causes-more-harm-than-good/

there is some evidence of a link between coerced or forced psychiatric treatment and suicide.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2016/03...&utm_medium=linkedin&utm_source=socialnetwork

"First, there is evidence that psychiatric hospitalization itself—whether voluntary or involuntary—leads to an increased risk of suicide. In a 2014 study, researchers at the University of Copenhagen looked at the psychiatric care received by 2,429 individuals in the year before they committed suicide, and after matching this group of completed suicides to a control group of 50,323 people in the general population, and after making adjustments for risk factors, they concluded that the risk of dying from suicide rose as people received increasing levels of psychiatric care. Taking psychiatric medications was associated with a six-fold increased likelihood that people would kill themselves; contact with a psychiatric outpatient clinic with an eight-fold increase; visiting a psychiatric emergency room with a 28-fold increase; and admission to a psychiatric hospital a 44-fold increase."

This is not intended as a blanket all encompassing statement and I am sure there are happy stories of troubled youth getting appropriate psychotherapy.

http://theinfluence.org/the-shipwre...the-new-medical-model-of-addiction-is-doomed/

"An example of biochemical change related to abuse would be a child who was biologically heterosexual who was sexually molested by a member of the same sex, and now relates as homosexual."

...or they relate as a heterosexual with developmental difficulties, especially in regard to feeling unvalued by the opposite sex.

Last edited:

https://chaoticpharmacology.com/201...ent-in-psychiatry-causes-more-harm-than-good/

there is some evidence of a link between coerced or forced psychiatric treatment and suicide.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2016/03...&utm_medium=linkedin&utm_source=socialnetwork

"First, there is evidence that psychiatric hospitalization itself—whether voluntary or involuntary—leads to an increased risk of suicide. In a 2014 study, researchers at the University of Copenhagen looked at the psychiatric care received by 2,429 individuals in the year before they committed suicide, and after matching this group of completed suicides to a control group of 50,323 people in the general population, and after making adjustments for risk factors, they concluded that the risk of dying from suicide rose as people received increasing levels of psychiatric care. Taking psychiatric medications was associated with a six-fold increased likelihood that people would kill themselves; contact with a psychiatric outpatient clinic with an eight-fold increase; visiting a psychiatric emergency room with a 28-fold increase; and admission to a psychiatric hospital a 44-fold increase."

This is not intended as a blanket all encompassing statement and I am sure there are happy stories of troubled youth getting appropriate psychotherapy.

http://theinfluence.org/the-shipwre...the-new-medical-model-of-addiction-is-doomed/

"An example of biochemical change related to abuse would be a child who was biologically heterosexual who was sexually molested by a member of the same sex, and now relates as homosexual."

...or they relate as a heterosexual with developmental difficulties, especially in regard to feeling unvalued by the opposite sex.

That study is very unscientific. Of course people who receive any psychiatric care are more likely to die of suicide than the general population.

I write this currently from my main job the city/county court ordered (involuntary) in-patient psychiatric hospital. One of my other two per-diem jobs is at the Urgent Psychiatric Hospital, basically a Psychiatric ER. I have ten years in the psych business, and let me say that everything you posted on fast read is complete nonsense.

100% of the patients that get court ordered come through the Psychiatric ER, and then are petitioned to the county court ordered facility for treatment. Due to being off of their psych meds for so long that they have mentally decompensated, so far that they're a danger to themselves and others. It is at that stage that we see most of them being DTS=danger to self, or suicidal with a plan, or no plan. Most often they want to walk into traffic, or suicide by cop.

When they first come to the inpatient facility their often angry, confused, and have generalized feelings of anger, due to being held against their will, and having medication forced upon them. Their average stay is about 7-10 days. At that time most if not all return to their baseline, and are clear headed, and functional and discharged back into the community on one year court ordered outpatient treatment. A lot of times they initially complain about the medication making them feel "out of it", when they're stabilizing, like they're in a daze. Or they complain about having sexual dysfunction, a common medication symptom.

Most suicidal ideations related to mental illness that I see on the daily stem from feelings of depression, and psychosis related to command hallucinations. Depression comes from feelings of hopelessness, due to being mentally ill, and feelings of not able to have a normal life. Feelings of being a separate class of citizen. Or their families having abandoned them due to fatigue related to their mental illness.

I could go on, but again on fast read your facts are personalized and very skewed, and just plain wrong IMO.

I'm sorry, fast read?

Isn't that American's teletype brief?

I am not employed in the industry anymore. I do not have access to fast read.

Does he have any paper work proving he has autism? Second opinions? Does he currently show any signs or symptoms? Medical records are disposed of after 6 years, it doesn't make much sense to go in and disclose that you have autism if you show no signs, and have no personal proof of the degree of diagnoses. Without paper or physical proof it might as well be made up.

Adam Lansa. (Not comparing OP to him, merely pointing to a potential result of not reporting medical issues/diagnosis)

Back