ExpressJet / United Express

I'm years from recall and think I'm coming down with the swine flu. Why not be a pal and share :)

I'd love to opine, but in the interest of it not being "biased" even though I wasn't here at the time, it's best for someone to look it up on their own.

I will say a federal judge ordered the Atlas guys back to work. Which ended up being the same flight number flying the same route with a different callsign.

Well, if this past weekend is any indication, I'm sure mama UAL loves us. We canceled over 50 flights on Saturday with 15 airplanes grounded due to an AD that wasn't complied with. I believe there was self-disclosure, but still...Saturday night was...well, actually it's a lot like last year when there was ANOTHER AD that wasn't complied with and the whole fleet had to repo into STL...

Well, if this past weekend is any indication, I'm sure mama UAL loves us. We canceled over 50 flights on Saturday with 15 airplanes grounded due to an AD that wasn't complied with. I believe there was self-disclosure, but still...Saturday night was...well, actually it's a lot like last year when there was ANOTHER AD that wasn't complied with and the whole fleet had to repo into STL...

The above was a passage from the best seller:

"Adding the Un to believable: how to run an airline that scrapes by for decades" by Hulas Konodian

Check out the reviews:

"Am amazed at the genius shown throughout the book!" raves Carl Ichan

"I wish I would have thought of alot of these ideas!!" exclaims Frank Lorenzo

"I have more motorcycles than Hulas" says the inestimable Johnny O

TSA management sounds suspisciously like MAG management. Why pay $5 now when you can just lose $100 later?

The above was a passage from the best seller:

"Adding the Un to believable: how to run an airline that scrapes by for decades" by Hulas Konodian

Check out the reviews:

"Am amazed at the genius shown throughout the book!" raves Carl Ichan

"I wish I would have thought of alot of these ideas!!" exclaims Frank Lorenzo

"I have more motorcycles than Hulas" says the inestimable Johnny O

:yup:

TSA management sounds suspisciously like MAG management. Why pay $5 now when you can just lose $100 later?

Totally! Here's an example. We're getting our last UAX aircraft ACARS'd up soon. I was told the reason we didn't do it before is because it was cost-prohibitive to install all the antennas, printers, etc and that UAL charged TSA a fee for every non-ACARS departure. Cheaper to pay the fee instead of just biting the bullet and upgrading the aircraft. Well either the fee went up or the cost of equipment went down because now all the old birds are getting new stuff. I don't know if it's totally true, but it's funny and would make sense!

They did this last summer out of IAD/ORD for extra flights that Mesa could not support to fly.

Yep, XJT did do about 2-3 weeks of UAL flying using maybe 3 aircraft last summer. This year seems to be more aircraft for 3 months.

Is this expected to become a long term agreement with UAL/XJT?

I don't think anyone "expects" a long term agreement out of this. That being said, United seemed to be pleased with the service that we provided last year, enough so to do business with us again this summer on a longer term basis.

There are many variables here that will play out through the coming months. The economy being probably the largest, not matter what happens with Trans States or Mesa if the economy takes a nasty downturn this summer I wouldn't imagine any further flying. If there continues to be economic recovery, or if TSA/Mesa do less flying then who knows, a longer agreement may be agreed upon.

Ah yes, that was my first day of IOE at TSA and what a lovely introduction to the company that was.

Well I wonder how they're going to fix the overstaffing? Displace us out of our bases? I'd like to know whereabouts the number of pilots they'd need in Atlanta would be cut off, since I'm 81/110. I started at 45 or so. I think it'd totally blow for the junior guys to get the pay shaft since the top-tier pay isn't as big a difference.

If you could maybe prod them into telling you what an "ideal" number is in each seat over here, I'd be very appreciative, knowing whether I'm going to be staying or going (again). :-)

Delta's a different beast when it comes to staffing models than NWA. Northwest you could pretty much bank on the block hours being fairly similar month to month. Delta....who knows. ATL is a unique problem being if they displace guys from ATL to MEM/DTW/MSP and Delta upps the block hours....well, you can't just DH some one to cover the extra flying since they wouldn't be qualified on the -900. So, I think it's a banking gamble by the company to keep ATL on the extreme fat side rather than have our Delta contract nixed due to a 70% completion factor. With NWA, if they canceled flights and dropped below XXX amount, they either just didn't get the bonus or had to pay a fine. With Delta in ATL, the whole she-bang could wind up over at ASA in a heartbeat.

Back