Explain To Me "Inflation" Again?

OHHHHH the names! Yeah, they have names but I don’t think I ever used those.

Isn’t one of them the ‘bay shore’ or something like that?

Are the Bay Area freeways with numbers and names?
Yeah they do, but they don't get used often by people under 70 lol.

101 = Bayshore Freeway
280 = Juniperoserra Freeway
580 = Nimitz Freeway
380 = 280/101 Interchange
1 = Pacific Coast Highway
17 = US Route 17

ect

Unlike LA, we don't say "the", and since people stay in at night in most of the Bay Area, I've done 55 miles at night on 280 between the SFO and the Southern tip of the SJC metro and not passed a single damn car probably 50+ times in my life. Gets real quiet in the wee hours on week nights on the Peninsula, but the East Bay is always hectic since everyone can afford to live there(ish) haha. That is something that tripped me out about SoCal, there isn't much "privacy" in much of it as warmer weather + lower cost of living + much more dense population sprawl + no fear of the homeless boggeyman = people up and out all the time.

By 2300 here, it feels like a walking dead set to explore in the hills above SFO where I can do anything. Hell, a metro of about 10 million and most bars are closed by 1AM on Saturday night. Even MSP stays open later than SFO, but...then again anything open past 1AM without security quickly becomes a homeless encampment here. That is why we no longer have a single 24 hour Starbucks within an hours drive of SFO (in fact Starbucks decided to curb the homeless issue by also making the problem stores take out ONLY so you can't even sit and study at them). The secret is steep hills. The steep hills ward off the homeless because that is 900% effort on heroin. Its never sketch atop the hills. Sucks for the peons below.

Last edited:
Name all of the greater LA freeways by their given name, from memory only.
San Diego, Ventura, Hollywood. No idea what numbers go with them either, as I’ve never lived in L.A. I just know those three because I still watch reruns of CHiP’s! LOL!

I'm trying to mentor a few area kids here in NYC, and while I can help them with the PHAK/AFH stuff, and general "career path" advice, I'm at a loss at how to connect the dots of "how do I pay for this, and how do I get to farmingdale/HPN/CDW each day." It's a dollar number that I would have not been capable of paying when I was their age.

San Diego, Ventura, Hollywood. No idea what numbers go with them either, as I’ve never lived in L.A. I just know those three because I still watch reruns of CHiP’s! LOL!

CHiPs was cool in that they did all the episode filming on parts of the freeway system that were being built at the time and hadn’t opened yet. Kind of neat trivia.

Back