Expired ATP written - Military

LoadMasterC141

OK so we have been down the path regarding expired ATP writtens for 121 guys several times: You cannot use this to take an initial ATP ride outside your airline.

What about military guys though? It would appear to be close to the same thing. I have a guy with an expired written who says his FSDO said it would be fine. However, our examiners won't touch it unless their FSDO certifies it. Sounds right to me, but I thought I would do one last check to make sure that noone else had any insight....

Bueller?

Last time I went to the FSDO they told me about a military clause for deployed servicemen that extends the expiration date of tests and certificates. I'll see if I have a copy of the reg.

Here you go:

Special Federal Aviation Regulation No. 100–1—Relief for U.S. Military and Civilian Personnel Who Are Assigned Outside the United States in Support of U.S. Armed Forces Operations

1. Applicability. Flight Standards District Offices are authorized to accept from an eligible person, as described in paragraph 2 of this SFAR, the following:

(a) An expired flight instructor certificate to show eligibility for renewal of a flight instructor certificate under §61.197, or an expired written test report to show eligibility under part 61 to take a practical test;

(b) An expired written test report to show eligibility under §§63.33 and 63.57 to take a practical test; and

(c) An expired written test report to show eligibility to take a practical test required under part 65 or an expired inspection authorization to show eligibility for renewal under §65.93.

2. Eligibility. A person is eligible for the relief described in paragraph 1 of this SFAR if:

(a) The person served in a U.S. military or civilian capacity outside the United States in support of the U.S. Armed Forces' operation during some period of time from September 11, 2001, through June 20, 2010;

(b) The person's flight instructor certificate, airman written test report, or inspection authorization expired some time between September 11, 2001, and 6 calendar months after returning to the United States, or June 20, 2010, whichever is earlier; and

(c) The person complies with §§61.197 or 65.93 of this chapter, as appropriate, or completes the appropriate practical test within 6 calendar months after returning to the United States, or June 20, 2010, whichever is earlier.

3. Required documents. The person must send the Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application (FAA Form 8710–1) to the appropriate Flight Standards District Office. The person must include with the application one of the following documents, which must show the date of assignment outside the United States and the date of return to the United States:

(a) An official U.S. Government notification of personnel action, or equivalent document, showing the person was a civilian on official duty for the U.S. Government outside the United States and was assigned to a U.S. Armed Forces' operation some time between September 11, 2001, through June 20, 2010;

(b) Military orders showing the person was assigned to duty outside the United States and was assigned to a U.S. Armed Forces' operation some time between September 11, 2001 through June 20, 2010; or

(c) A letter from the person's military commander or civilian supervisor providing the dates during which the person served outside the United States and was assigned to a U.S. Armed Forces' operation some time between September 11, 2001 through June 20, 2010.

4. Expiration date . This Special Federal Aviation Regulation No.100–1 expires June 20, 2010, unless sooner superseded or rescinded.

[Doc. No. FAA–2005–15431, 70 FR 37948, June 30, 2005]

Effective Date Note: By Doc. No. FAA–2005–15431, 70 FR 37948, June 30, 2005, SFAR No. 100–1 was added, effective June 30, 2005 through June 20, 2010.

How does this apply to those of us that had a CFI certificate expire while deployed? I wanted to enroll in the Americanflyers online renewal but can't seem to sign up because my original expiration date has past ( January 2009)

Back