Experimental aircraft types

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
Question for the ATC people...

When flying a not so common experimental aircraft type, such as my buddy and his MX2 and ATC has asked "what's it like?". Would it be better to say its similar to an Extra or is there a specific type that ATC uses for these types?

Question for the ATC people...

When flying a not so common experimental aircraft type, such as my buddy and his MX2 and ATC has asked "what's it like?". Would it be better to say its similar to an Extra or is there a specific type that ATC uses for these types?

There are actual types (HXA, HXB, HXC) that are designated by cruise speed and climb/descent rate.

There is quite a difference between one end of HXB and the other, and HXC is everyone else (on the faster side) - so I'll usually ask if the aircraft's performance is going to matter.

"It's like an Extra," is actually exactly perfect, and exactly what I'm looking for when I pose the question. That's a lot more helpful than staring at HXB at times.

Cool, thanks. Since the experimental world is so diverse between the 50 knot Kolbs & Challengers to 300+ knot L39s, I imagine this happens regularly. Although, whenever I've been in other experimentals: RV's, Christen Eagle and such, it wasn't a problem since they are more widely known.

Thanks.

Back