Expat Jobs Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only qualification I know about is "more or less 1000 TT", nothing else, but that doesn't mean there isn't any more.

I'm trying to get some homework started (emailed a few friends who are in the are etc. etc.), not something I want to jump into feet first and hope its not a shallow reef, but it's something that's out there that might or might not be of benefit, don't really know unless I do the research.

aviatorhi,

Anything you can learn from friends/acquaintances with boots on the ground there is certainly the best source. Good luck in the hunt.

aviatorhi,

What does Lion Air want besides 1000 TT for these FO spots ? Unfortunately, $800/mo is not enough to stop people from taking the jobs.

You might want to do a serious amount of homework on this one. :D

Agree. We're talking less than $10 a flight hour here, so I'd want to know what else goes along with it. I'd want to know things like if you get a PIC type rating with it and how long is the contract. If it were like a 6 month contract, I'd ponder it just to get a 737 PIC type. Might be an even swap for the cheaper pay if you got a free type out of the deal. If it's only an SIC type, personally, I'd hold out for something better.

I'm also a little weary of an airline whose slogan is "We Make People Fly." :)

It'd be interesting to know if Lion Air intends to provide initial training for these positions. God knows, at that pay rate they should but I'd be very surprised if that were the case. I'd imagine walking in with the type rating is required particularly with the current state of the industry around the world.

Someone who knows that he's talking will come along and correct me if necessary but my observation is that, while there are exceptions to everything, paying for one's own initial training is very common in the expat world. And having some expat-experienced folks discuss that aspect might be very informative for guys here considering that avenue of employment.

So much to know...so little time. :D

It'd be interesting to know if Lion Air intends to provide initial training for these positions. God knows, at that pay rate they should but I'd be very surprised if that were the case. I'd imagine walking in with the type rating is required particularly with the current state of the industry around the world.

Someone who knows that he's talking will come along and correct me if necessary but my observation is that, while there are exceptions to everything, paying for one's own initial training is very common in the expat world. And having some expat-experienced folks discuss that aspect might be very informative for guys here considering that avenue of employment.

So much to know...so little time. :D

Agreed. Which is why if it were only $800/mo and I had to already have a type, I'd walk away for something better. If I'm gonna have to shell out thousands of my own dollars for training, I'm not gonna settle for that low of a pay rate.

More info on this scheme on PPW

http://forums.propilotworld.com/showthread.php?t=23166

Not an advertisement for PPW, I'm just too lazy to re-type it here.

For what it's worth, I was offered a check airman position with Lion Air when they started up. The pay was $4750/month for an MD-80 check airman. Obvioulsy I chose something else. Minimum for that kind of position post 9-11 would be around $8000/month. The, "you get what you pay for" result of being so cheap is they've written off two or three airframes already due to incompetent piloting.

Typhoonpilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back