Expat Jobs Questions

jwp_145

GhostRider in the Sky
I was wondering if there are any recruiting firms out there for Expat flying jobs...

By that I mean, are there any LEGITIMATE companies that you sign up with, pay a fee, do a consultation interview, and they go around and attempt to place you with different flying jobs for which you're qualified.

One of them I know of is PARC, our union referred us to that place... seems pretty good but doesn't cost anything, which is even better!

I'm really wanting to get into an expat job as I have no wife or kids, 3K hours, and a couple type-ratings.

For those who are already flying as expats, how did you do your jobs research?

I get mail from these guys all the time. www.vorholdings.com
Seems to be looking for A320, 737, EMB170/190 and some biz jet types. They usually list a variety of schedules available at different rates and schedule US interviews at times. Are they legit? Don't know, I think they grabbed my mail from LinkedIn.

How timely, VOR just sent this:

Attention A320 CAPTAINS,

Sichuan Airlines will be interviewing this November in China and this December in the United States. Interviews in China will be held from November 18th through the 24th. Interviews in the USA will be held on December 13th, 15th or 16th and require only one day.

Airline tickets for China interviews will be reimbursed during the trip. The airline tickets to the US Interviews for non-USA attendees will be provided and prepaid. VOR Holdings will provide hotel accommodations for all candidates that attend the interview in Orlando, Florida.

Please let us know what interview you would like to attend (China or USA). If you would like to attend the USA interviews, please let us know what day that you would like to attend.

Please provide the following information:

Name: __________________

Phone Number (including country code): ___________

Total Flight Hours: _________

A320 PIC Hours: __________

If you know anyone that is interested in this opportunity, please forward this email to them as this is the LAST CHANCE to get onboard this year. The pay is $18,000 USD per month!

Sincerely,

Ainara Ayala

Manager of Recruiting

Sichuan was here in Vegas not long ago doing some recruiting event. Dont you need 500 PIC in type?

As posted above these companies will help you. If you are a captain with typically 500 time in type you should have a good chance. In general at least here in China the window for FO positions is closing and will almost be non existent for new candidates next year especially for 121 operations. Other parts of the world I'm not sure about, but this is the new reality in China.

Hey PopAviator, why is it that the FO opportunities are going away? Do all of the different openings require Time in Type typically?

Hey PopAviator, why is it that the FO opportunities are going away? Do all of the different openings require Time in Type typically?

All of the third world countries are trying to "grow their own" with respect to a pilot pool of their own citizens.

All of the third world countries are trying to "grow their own" with respect to a pilot pool of their own citizens.
You hit the nail on the head. In China there will always be open positions for captains who qualify, but the FO positions will be reserved for pilots who are Chinese nationals.

Gotcha, but where are all the Chinese gonna come from to cover the projected growth in China?
You're absolutely right. I don't know how this is going to pan out. The CAAC is pretty adamant about having this regulation in effect by next year. As of now, new flight schools are beginning to open up across China while the airlines have contracts with flight schools overseas.

...One of them I know of is PARC, our union referred us to that place... seems pretty good but doesn't cost anything, which is even better!..

I just finished doingsome short term expat work and worked closely with a few guys contracted through PARC. They had a pretty bad contract and had problems getting paid. If you do contract work be sure that you get paid even if the company you are flying for is not paying your contractor.

By that I mean, are there any LEGITIMATE companies that you sign up with, pay a fee, do a consultation interview, and they go around and attempt to place you with different flying jobs for which you're qualified.

There is nothing like that in the airline world.

PARC et al, are all agencies that take a slice of your pay every month for the work you do. In return they help set-up the interview and act as the payment agency. They typically are paid by your employer so they tend not to rock the boat in the event of any dispute between you and the employer. PARC is actually one of the better agencies. I would avoid VOR Holdings and Rishworth like the plague. They do not have good reputations.

The links posted by Skaning are good. I know the owner of Pilot Career Centre personally. His service is more geared towards resume writing and interview prep, but his website does list a lot of starting out type jobs that are available worldwide.

The difficulty in getting going with expat work is in getting the required qualifications for a job. As noted, most foreign jobs will require PIC time in type. There are the rare exceptions and those are often difficult to find. More often than not it takes knowing someone or being in that country at the right time in order to get the job. If it's what you really want though then be persistent and be willing to take risks.

Typhoonpilot

Thanks for the replies folks, I really appreciate it. Some good things to think about... I know all about being in a foreign country and not getting paid... not really sheet you can do about it if you wanna leave with your arse intact.

Back