Exemplary Prince William Sound Sunset

PICPaul

My wife Janet and I made a flight to Cordova after work last Tuesday in our C150. After returning to Tatitlek and dropping her off around 5.30, I resolved to head back out in order to catch some sunset light and also spend some time in the pattern shooting a few night landings and takeoffs.

I sped on over to the Columbia Glacier and enjoyed a 45 minute show of light that had to have been the finest display I’ve been privileged to bear witness to this winter. I shot around 2 gigs worth of images which will take some time to work through and post, but I’m excited enough to present two preliminary samples.

482412851_Yr7Yx-S.jpg

This is the light that got me so excited. I had a fantastic time juxtaposing the warm colors of the sunset with the cool timbre of the glacial ice and snow covered peaks below. Additionally the low angled winter light really highlighted the texture of the glacial crevasses to the point where they could play a supportive visual role to the interplay of the colors.

Of course the ice fields weren’t the only parts of the Sound in play that evening.

482401782_vwAJy-S.jpg

You can see the light was pervasive throughout the Sound, what a sunset!

Wow what an amazing sight. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see that second one at 1900x1080 to use as a background.

And once again, Alaska proves to be the most beautiful place on Earth.

Great pictures. I'd like to point out that you used the word "sped" and the numbers 152 in the same sentence.

Great pictures. I'd like to point out that you used the word "sped" and the numbers 152 in the same sentence.

My 150 is the fastest airplane I've flown....yet.

I'll be down at CPS in 3 weeks and I'm betting they'll have something a bit faster for me to work with.

Back