Excuse Me, Can you Get the Captain.....

Post 9-11 our ops manuals said that we came out only for physiological. That was the forward lav. Tour the cabin? Why? The FA told him there was a hole in the engine nacelle. His instruments would have indicated a problem.. but then..

Back when the mighty tri-motor (727) was queen of the fleet, I think it was American that tossed either number 1 or 3 while enroute. The engine was normally visible via the aft rows. When it seized, as designed, the engine tore off the mounts. The FA went to the cockpit and told the crew "We have lost an engine!" The crew said, "We know" meaning the instruments had shown a failure, not a separation. They had done the engine failure checklist. It took a while for the FA to convince the crew the engine was no longer attached to the airplane.

Personally.. I would have stayed in the seat, asked the FA to check and report back if there were changes. Contact the company and advise of the problem and the wait to see if the engine required shutdown.

...your mileage may differ.

In my plane, I HAD to tour the cabin to use the lav as it was in the back, so the concept is not that strange for me.

airplane_inflight_damaged_engine_berro.jpg

I heard there was a cowling in the middle of an intersection that said "www.airtran.com" Ryan quit flying for them shortly after.

Singles06.Emirates1.GIF
[/quote]

The engineer in the background seems to be saying "I see some excessive wear on the abratable material, but I'm not sure I see the 'cowling damage' in the maintenance writeup."

In my plane, I HAD to tour the cabin to use the lav as it was in the back, so the concept is not that strange for me.

Prior to 9-11 I usually downed a bottle of water every 2 hrs. Afterwards.. less.

My concern was that I once read more pilots are debilitated in flight by kidney stones than heart attacks. Dry humidity, sitting, sedentary, dehydrated. And women with kidney stones said it was about as close to labor as anything. No thanks.

But your point is well taken. Often you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Back