Excel file for your students?

BoDEAN

I am thinking of making an excel file, and list all my students on it, to keep track of a) who my students are and b) what I've done with them on what date.

Anyone else do something similar to this? Any suggestions on how I could set this up?

I make one for each of my students individually. I keep track of both flight and ground time, and when they go for their checkride, I make a little summary section at the bottom. Then I print it out, and send it with them to the checkride. The examiner we use likes to see evidence of ground instruction received, so I find this works well as it gives him an overall view of what we've done. He especially likes to see logged ground schools that cover all of the special emphasis items found in the PTS.

[ QUOTE ]
I make one for each of my students individually. I keep track of both flight and ground time, and when they go for their checkride, I make a little summary section at the bottom. Then I print it out, and send it with them to the checkride. The examiner we use likes to see evidence of ground instruction received, so I find this works well as it gives him an overall view of what we've done. He especially likes to see logged ground schools that cover all of the special emphasis items found in the PTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind emailing me your spreadsheet so i can take a look at the format?

bodean@wmis.net

Thanks

Jeppesen used to have a really nice tracking sheet for this, we used it at a 141 school. It worked exspecially well with thier lesson plans and stage evals.

You will be better to use a database program, like MS Access. I know Access is a little harder to learn at first, but in the long run it is WAY better suited to getting info back out of..

[ QUOTE ]
Mind emailing me your spreadsheet so i can take a look at the format?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no prob. I'm not at work right now though, so I'll send it to you from there next time I get a chance. Remind me if I forget (it happens occasionally)!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Jeppesen used to have a really nice tracking sheet for this, we used it at a 141 school. It worked especially well with thier lesson plans and stage evals.

[/ QUOTE ]I put together am Excel version of the Jepp tracking record. It's available here if anyone is interested. Use at your own risk. Sorry, no instructions.

http://midlifeflight.tripod.com/cfi_stuff/index.htm (excuse the popups; not my regular site).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jeppesen used to have a really nice tracking sheet for this, we used it at a 141 school. It worked especially well with thier lesson plans and stage evals.

[/ QUOTE ]I put together am Excel version of the Jepp tracking record. It's available here if anyone is interested. Use at your own risk. Sorry, no instructions.

http://midlifeflight.tripod.com/cfi_stuff/index.htm (excuse the popups; not my regular site).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an FYI,,,, the page isn't there!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I put together am Excel version of the Jepp tracking record. It's available here if anyone is interested. Use at your own risk. Sorry, no instructions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just an FYI,,,, the page isn't there!

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks. Semi-broken link. It's there now.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just giving you a reminder =-)

I did something like this. I was taking an office computing class which taught us Excel, so I used my "skills" to make a chart for my students to monitor their progress. Since I was instructing for a 141 school, we had VERY detailed flight lessons and hour requirements. By using the Excel spreadsheet, it easily totalled up how much time each student had for Total, Night, Sim Inst, Landings, etc.

I don't have the file anymore, otherwise I would forward it to you!

I wrote a cool log book program for myself that I could convert for the uses you are talking about. It dose pie charts and other eye candy by plane type or hours(night,IFR,Cross country) it is a on going hobby to see how much crap I can put in. I do not want to but this program out for the world but if I modified it for a CFI’s to track students for you nice folks what information should be in it what type of reports would you need or want to keep.
Be warned if you express interest you get to beta test it
wink.gif

Currently I added the ability to have more then one CFI and more the one student(since it was my log book it only needed one) .

I plane on providing the following reports.
Pie chart of total time in each category (PIC,IMC,SIM-IMC, Cross Country, etc)
Bar Chart- time in category or particular Aircraft
Fancy Report of time needed till testing for next rating. The kind that makes a bill easier to take
wink.gif

The way I wrote it is very easy to report on any information you want to. And export that to a excel file or Adobe file. So any reports you think would be useful let me know. I will be finishing it up tonight and put it on a FTP server for you. The only draw back is I did it in .NET and you will need the .Net framework installed on your computer if it is not already. Do not worry about getting it if you do not have it. I will install it in the setup program if you do not have it installed.

I will post a FTP address to any one who wants to play with and will offer feedback! But please do not give copies to the world. This is still beta and I do not want to support hundreds of folks I do not know.
John

Ran into some problems converting it from my database to a standalone database did not finsh it last night I will lwt you know when I get it working.

OK I am posting it on a FTP server now PM me if you want the address to download.

I will keep adding reports I just need feedback as to what information is good or bad or missing.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should make a Database in Acess, not a spreadsheet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing it in access requires that you have a runtime license or a copy of access I am writing it in VB so any one can use it and get the rich reporting access offers.. I showed it to John Tenny and he has provided me with some things to add to it so it can be used for professional pilots as well.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should make a Database in Acess, not a spreadsheet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing it in access requires that you have a runtime license or a copy of access. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty expensive, unless you know someone with a copy of it, and you could get a bootleg.....

Of course, I don't support that idea, and I think that the software companies (and the record idustry...) deserves every dime that they ste - I mean, earn, from us.....

That's all I have to say about that.

In a passt life I worked for the man even worked on access 2.0 it has come a long way but you are right it is very pricey.
Agin for those intersed I am posting the latest build on my FTP at around 19:00 est

if you want to look at it or have input email me at jbailey8@cfl.rr.com.noSpam

delete the .noSpam FYI spamers search boards to find email address but you folks probly know that.

Back