Examiners at ATP JAX location

Godzgreatgift

Hello Does any1 here who attending the ATP JAX location know what examiners to be aware of at the JAX facility maybe it could help the new students going to JAX. Any1 remember names? Those examiners that are tough, or, easy? Any info will be appreciated

Walt Schmall(sp), if you get assigned him for any checkride, do not use him. The stories you will hear are all true. He takes pleasure in letting people know that he had a hand in personally writing some of the FARs and will bust you at the first bobble.
The only way to eliminate examiners like this is for their customers to simply go away. He busted a guy for his MEII because he could not explain what ‘gyro stop pins’ are?
Have your paperwork in order and get a good night’s rest before any checkride.

Not for nuthin'... but Walt is a Master CFI and quite frankly... he was one of the best parts of my training with ATP. His knowlege base... combined with his really bad jokes... really made my CFI experience great.

I'd be inclined to say that there is more to the story regarding your friends bust. But since neither one of us where there... it's really just speculation.

Instead of "fearing" examiners... go in with an open mind and be ready to learn.

Regardless... I'd take Walt for a checkride anyday.

Bob

I agree with Captain Bob, Walt is the least of your worries! I think everyone will agree that Mr. Strange is the big problem with ATP checkrides.

Yes. Mr. Strange is one of the worst excuses for a human being I've met. I did my Comm. SE and CFI with him - and I did everything fine, but of course I had to deal with him yelling and cursing the entire time. During his orals he will be playing solitaire on his computer with his back to you. It's just sad to see that these are the guys the FAA uses as DE's... I passed those rides with flying colors but man I was pretty close to walking out.

Oh and he's been assaulted before for giving his Ernie treatment to a marine that didn't take too kindly! lol. I wish someone had that on tape.

Yes. Mr. Strange is one of the worst excuses for a human being I've met. I did my Comm. SE and CFI with him - and I did everything fine, but of course I had to deal with him yelling and cursing the entire time. During his orals he will be playing solitaire on his computer with his back to you. It's just sad to see that these are the guys the FAA uses as DE's... I passed those rides with flying colors but man I was pretty close to walking out.

Oh and he's been assaulted before for giving his Ernie treatment to a marine that didn't take too kindly! lol. I wish someone had that on tape.

You guys dont know what a hard examiner is till you try a couple in PHX, I had a blast with Walt, Ernie in JAX, and I was very well prepared for them (thanks to my PHX instructors) and I liked him playing games on his computer while Im giving orals lol, gave the sense of me rambeling (which I was)

An absolute crock, Mr. Strange is a great person, an awesome pilot and a excellent examiner. He can be intimidating, but that is something you will have to deal with your entire career. He gave me at least 5 of my checkrides when I was at ATP in 2000. If you take the time to be prepared and educated (as opposed to just studying the "gouge") you will be pleasantly suprised. All of his checkrides are a learning experience, and believe me, he can teach us all a thing or two.

I encourage anyone going to a checkride with him (or anyone else for that matter) to get the PTS, study it, and know exactly what is expected of you. This alone will put you miles ahead of many applicants.

All in all, ATP is the BEST thing I ever did for my career.

Kryder
UPS Airbus F/O

WOAH WOAH WOAH! You went to ATP & you fly for UPS?????

Oh thats just fantastic!!!!!

:D:D:D:D

-Rob
Yes I did go to ATP and now I fly for UPS. Some of the people that I was at ATP with now fly for Southwest, FedEx, Delta, NWA, Cal, NetJets and so on. I have no connection to ATP whatsoever anymore, but I can tell you this....if I hadn't gone to ATP I would definately not be where I am today.

I love to hear griping about DPE's. I did two checkrides with ES and one with Walt. I have also attended Walt's ground school. He uses the PTS in his oral. Nothing more, nothing less. If you cant meet the standard you dont pass. Period. Quit complaining. You cant half-a$$ your training then expect a DPE to just wink and sign. Do your work and walk away with your ticket- I did. If you want a gimme ride with bendable standards this isnt the career for you. If you pass, it is all you. If you fail, dont try to blame it on the DPE.

(Off soap box.):D

So, you can go to ATP and get a job with UPS????????:sarcasm:

Yes I did go to ATP and now I fly for UPS. Some of the people that I was at ATP with now fly for Southwest, FedEx, Delta, NWA, Cal, NetJets and so on. I have no connection to ATP whatsoever anymore, but I can tell you this....if I hadn't gone to ATP I would definately not be where I am today.

The only reason I make such a big deal about is the fact that we have a 767 UPS Pilot on here who does not think to fondly of ATP students and the way ATP does things.

I think thats awesome to know that people who went through the same program I did are reaching those positions. Its good news....

-Rob

Not sure about all of you, but I know this: When it is time for my ATP I am looking for a Walt. I dont want to just pass and walk. I want to be TESTED. If I cant hack a Walt ride/ ES ride then i want to train until I can.

No deep disrespect is meant but gouges are for wimps who already know they cant meet the standards on every part of the PTS. If you think you cant pass with the local FSDO, you shouldnt be taking the test. Get ready, find the hardest DPE and rock on.:rawk:

By the way, if harsh language causes you to loose concentration, I wonder what an engine failure in IMC will do? I have had both. Anybody care to guess which was worse?

The only reason I make such a big deal about is the fact that we have a 767 UPS Pilot on here who does not think to fondly of ATP students and the way ATP does things.

I think thats awesome to know that people who went through the same program I did are reaching those positions. Its good news....

-Rob

I actually haven't frequented these boards since about 2001 (my old screenname was KNTRDR, if anyone from back then remembers, i couldnt remember my password, hence the new name) so I am unaware of the person you speak of, but I will say this....99% of people who ever complain about ATP never went there. It is a fantastic school and the people who run it, Jim, Phil and Derrick are as fine an example of decent people as you will ever find. I have nothing but praise for them and ATP. It is not for everyone (ie, the people who need to be spoon-fed, or do not want to work), but it did more to prepare me for the airline environment than anything I could ever imagine.

Kryder, what year did you attend ATP? What were your careers steps that you took until you got where you are now? I'f I'm unclear, I mean after ATP, what regional and what after until you hit the UPS job. Congrats on that btw. That probably makes you feel like you've achieved the biggest thing.

An absolute crock, Mr. Strange is a great person, an awesome pilot and a excellent examiner. He can be intimidating, but that is something you will have to deal with your entire career. He gave me at least 5 of my checkrides when I was at ATP in 2000. If you take the time to be prepared and educated (as opposed to just studying the "gouge") you will be pleasantly suprised. All of his checkrides are a learning experience, and believe me, he can teach us all a thing or two.

I encourage anyone going to a checkride with him (or anyone else for that matter) to get the PTS, study it, and know exactly what is expected of you. This alone will put you miles ahead of many applicants.

Kryder
UPS Airbus F/O

:yeahthat:

No deep disrespect is meant but gouges are for wimps ...

Bull! When you're flying an ILS do you not activate the approach in the GPS w/moving map if available? A gouge is just simply one more tool you have in your bag to make your life easier. Its silly not to use everything you can to your advantage.

Here in JAX I like to use Duane Brown and Bob Link though I don't know if they ever give rides at ATP. DB is a salty old Navy dog who is a blast to talk to, he's been doing this since dirt was new and is really smooth.

Kryder, what year did you attend ATP? What were your careers steps that you took until you got where you are now? I'f I'm unclear, I mean after ATP, what regional and what after until you hit the UPS job. Congrats on that btw. That probably makes you feel like you've achieved the biggest thing.

You know, I am going to answer this in its own thread...i believe I have hijacked the intent of this one enough.

Kryder

UPS Airbus F/O

Please don't assume anything about me, my style of preparation for my cert's, nor how much I studied during my ratings.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, I never had a gouge except a day or two before the checkride. My study materials, for the two single engine ratings I took with Strange were the PTS, POH, AFH, PHAK, Everything explained, FAR/AIM, and the King Videos. In fact, I didn't get a single slip of paper from my CFI, not even a maneuver sheet - I did all the legwork on my own and made it work. I didn't slip up at all on either checkride. I'm not saying I'm some kind of super pilot or anything, just that I satisified the PTS requirements with flying colors.

My point is that he could conduct a checkride with fairness, and without attempting to humiliate the applicant - there's nothing professional about that at all! Guys like him that get off on making others feel miserable obviously have a lack of self respect, and I just laugh at them.

I did learn a few things from him, which are great and all; those came on my CFI ride with him, and I'm thankful for learning a few things, but that is irrelevant in my opinion of him as a DE.

I'll make one other point clear, I've got over a thousand dual given in light twins now, and I don't remember ever giving a gouge to a student for a checkride until the day before the checkride. Each day is a formatted lesson, and my gouge are the FAA publications primarily, with the PTS guiding the entire process.

And Eclipse - don't worry, I didn't lose concentration, I took care of what needed to be taken care of in the cockpit, I just would rather not have his saliva all over the side of my face ;) That's all.... don't be so quick to judge.

Anyway... moving on :whatever:

Back