Ever heard an emergency declared or declared yourself?

farwellbooth

Just wondering how common this is... I heard one Sunday over central CA, a guy lost his engine and then it came back.

What have you heard them declared for? Do you hear them often? Next to never (hopefully...)? Or for what reason(s) have you had to declare one/them for?

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering how common this is... I heard one Sunday over central CA, a guy lost his engine and then it came back.

What have you heard them declared for? Do you hear them often? Next to never (hopefully...)? Or for what reason(s) have you had to declare one/them for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard one guy who had an engine fire and another student on his x-country got lost and got low on fuel.

Hey,

I've heard a may day call and someone "confess" that they were lost.

I heard the mayday on my transceiver from home. The pilot kept yelling "Teterboro Tower NXYZ may day may day...." and then finally it went silent. It was kinda freaky when no one responded. I figured that they were too far away from Teterboro for the CT to receive them. I never heard what the emergency was nor what happened to the plane.

The lost plane call was a good learning experience. My instructor and I were out practicing maneuvers and monitoring 121.5 when the call was made. The pilot said she was a student and thought she was a few mile west of what she thought was Morristown Airport. Well, ATC quickly responded and told all aircraft to standby as it turned out she was 2 miles away from Newark. She was off by about 15nm. ATC quickly located the plane and provided lots of directions. It taught me that help is there if you need it and dont wait until you're over a major airport.

Happy Flying!

[ QUOTE ]
a guy lost his engine and then it came back.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, was he throwing the frisbee and it went a little too far?
smile.gif

Have declared a few myself, two engine failures in piston twins, one hydraulic system failure (A system) B-727, one slat assymetry in the MD-11 out of Frankfurt, dumped 103k of fuel over France and landed in Paris.

Once as a student on my solo XC due to a cracked cylinder... ATC was trying to vector me around, I informed them that it would be direct to, thank you.

Doug, is your trip over? I was one of those little 152 on your TCAS
smirk.gif

yep
#1 Low level (500'AGL) at night in the rain under NVG's in a Cobra Attack Helicopter, had a weapons controller short out and started slewing my 20mm left to right at 110 degrees per second, didn't know that was the problem but because of the lateral vibration the PIC actually thought it was a main rotor malfunction ... thought we were going to die ... Autorotated into a Farmers field and during the emergency shut down when Master Arm switch was selected to off the lateral vibrations stoped and we knew what the problem was. I put out a mayday call but due to our low altitude and range no one heard it.

#2 FL 310 flying in a C-550 had a main door seal go ... rapid depressurization ... took 3 calls for ATC (after I put my O2 mask on) to realize I was declaring an emergency, but after that they were great, immediately cleared to FL 250 and before we got there he had all the lower traffic scattered and kept us coming down to below 10,000, terminated the emergency and flew an ILS into TOL, taxied into a Cessna Service Center and got the problem seal fixed. Back to work in about 1 hr.

#3 Lost a fuel control computer on a BE-200, had to shut down the engine ( actually had to replace the engine because it high sided and overtorqed ) and do a single engine landing, inbound to the airport CT advised me I was #2 emergency in progress

We had one today at our school.

An instructor and his student were doing commercial training and returning to the airport. They came in for a landing normally, except when the nose gear touched it simply collapsed. It bent the prop way back and some how did damage to the engine. Sucks big time! The two in the plane were ok. THe student was on his first commercial lesson.
Afterwards the tower says," your luck it happend on the Left runway or else we'd of brough the bulldozer out instead of the crane to get you off the right runway.

Appearently she wasn't kidding, they have to have the wreck off the right runway within 20 minutes. I guess its because of the planes coming in on the right runway.

I"m still bummed that we lost one of our planes today.

Its a good thing it didn't happend in about two weeks when one of my students and I were planning a trip to reno!
frown.gif

I've had two.
The first one, we had a engine fire-light come on in the B1900. We ran through the phase ones and shut it down. We were only 10mins from our destination when it happened. It turns out that is was a chaffed wire that caused the false indication.

The second one only happened about 4 months ago, smoke in the cockpit in a piston twin. At night, in IMC... wasn't fun! Turned out there was no fire, but the last 30 mins of that flight seemed to last forever.

Lost an engine on takeoff (700 ft) while I was a student with my instructor. My instructor watched closely to make sure I did every thing OK. Then, when I reached for the mic, he stopped me and said, "I've got the radios... keep it close in".

He called the tower and told them we had a bad engine, and were coming back.

Tower asked if we were declaring an emergency.

He replied, "Not unless I have to".

Tower said, "stand by" and in about 10 seconds, said "clear to land any runway".

Landed without incident.

The engine was grinding up pieces of the starter gear. On the C150's the starter gear is inside the crankcase. Not sure if it caused the oil pump to go first, but it ran really rough and wouldn't hold altitude.

1 Declared emergency and one "shoulda been" an emergency.

Had an engine fail in the baron, about 5-10 minutes after take off passing through 8,000ft the right engine sounded like somebody put a baseball bat to it. Yawed and rolled just like they said into the dead engine.

The Manifold coming off the turbo called it quits, declared an emergency, feathered and shut it down and landed w/o incident.

I should have declared an emergency when once in the Katana at about 400' AGL the prop started to ocilate about 300 RPM about 2 times/second! We had enough power to climb and I told tower that I'd like to land immediately. Had he not allowed me to cut in front of traffic I would have declared the emergency as the pattern here usually stretches 3-4 miles from the airport.

In retrospect I should have declared it either way, I know I was thinking....sh#$...paperwork...FAA.....

Luckily, i haven't had an emergency (yet). I did hear 2 emergencies declared at Leesburg Municiple (JYO) within 1/2 hour of each other. This was during my private pilot training and I was in the pattern practicing landings (getting ready for solo). A twin (not sure which type) declared an emergency after losign the right engine. Those of us in the pattern had to hold nearby while the guy landed safely on one engine. Then about 20 minutes later, a seminole from my flight school declared an emergency because they were losing power on the right engine. They landed safely and rumor has it that it wasn't really a problem with the engine and that the instructor may have panicked. This was the same guy who flared an Aero Commander too high, slammed it down and caused some damage while instructing a commercial student. Also the same guy who had his finger in between the aileron and wing while his student was testing the aileron on the other side. He ended up going to the emergency room for that ...

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent here.
smile.gif

Mahesh

Ouch....All you gotta do is hold up the aileron while your finger is in there...here come the common sense police
smirk.gif

He he he. I dont think he is the sharpest tool in the shed. I feel bad for him though because none of the other instructors have respect for him.

Mahesh

Back