ETOPS

BoeingDrew

This may sound like a very stupid question, but I don't know what ETOPS is
confused.gif
. I'v read it in books and posts, but I never could figure out what it was. I'm completely clueless on what it is.
tongue.gif

Extended Twin-engine Ops; it's for overwater flights, requires twin-engine airliners to remain within so many minutes of a suitable airport on one engine.

i thought i once heard some tongue-in-cheek version of that acronym? anyone know what I am refering to?

I always worry about fires much more compared to engine failures - engines are so realiable these days.

The question is: Is it better to have 4 engines (747, 340) where the probability of an engine failure doubles, or is it better to have 2 engines where an engine failure is less likely?

I heard there is an island in the pacific that all the ETOPS flights use as a possible diversion point. From what I hear its a tiny island and the runway takes up like half the space. I think the story goes that Airbus wanted to buy the island and tear up the runway so that airlines would be less inclined to buy boeing 777s and Airbus' 340s would then become a big seller.

Anyone know about this?

[ QUOTE ]
The question is: Is it better to have 4 engines (747, 340) where the probability of an engine failure doubles, or is it better to have 2 engines where an engine failure is less likely?

I heard there is an island in the pacific that all the ETOPS flights use as a possible diversion point. From what I hear its a tiny island and the runway takes up like half the space. I think the story goes that Airbus wanted to buy the island and tear up the runway so that airlines would be less inclined to buy boeing 777s and Airbus' 340s would then become a big seller.

Anyone know about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope I haven't heard of it. but it sounds like what you have to do in business these days: IE. Microsoft LOL!!!!!!!!!

Back