ETOPs Paper Charts

You could make your own by calculating the circles and then using one of these…

1680740119066.gif

This actually brings up quite an interesting question would a flight intentionally slow down to increase the ETOPS ring distance (say make that 767 match the rings of a triple)
The beauty about those rings is they are static. It’s purely based On single engine diversion speed, if you set your 777 single engine diversion speed at 310 KIAS while also using the same speed for your 767, the rings are them same Distance from the airports.

When we used paper charts whe limited the diversion speeds to one specific number for that region of the world To make it easy for the crews to see their rings. It want the most efficient way but it was Easy for everyone involved.

int he brave new world we operate now, we adjust the diversion speed to make the circles match as required. If an airport sucks and can’t be used sta 290KIAS single engine diversions speed, increase the diversion speed to 330 KIAS or so and make the circles bigger to make sure the circled overlaps for more distance airports. It may add fuel for the ETOPS diversion scenario.. but the plane moves.

This actually brings up quite an interesting question would a flight intentionally slow down to increase the ETOPS ring distance (say make that 767 match the rings of a triple)

Right concept, but you'd want to increase your diversion speed to make the rings bigger. The downside is that you sometimes have to carry more gas and most dispatchers absolutely loath ETP ADD fuel.

You won't find charts with rings pre drawn available because as part of the ETOPS certification each carrier chooses what speed profile they are going to use with each equipment type. So there are literally millions of combinations.

I've generally been surprised at the one of 3 scenarios that drives the critical point fuel requirement. That said, I don't know anything about the math/modeling that goes into it. But often, it isn't the one I would think would be the worst case (single engine depressurized). I'm sure it has happened, anyone have any personal experience with a CP'ish turn back (or continue)?

Back