ERJ-145....

In the J41, the reversers (beta) were so good that the only time I touched the brakes in a year of flying was when a captain let me taxi from the right seat.

In the 328, we don't have reversers due to the relatively light weight. We depend totally on brakes. We replace tires very often.
crazy.gif

Yeah the 41 has amazing reverse. It's approved for power back operations. Not sure if all turboprops are able to do that. We hardly ever do it, but it's part of the sim training. Just DON'T use the brakes to stop when powering back!

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In TUS I lived 5 miles from the airport and you could hear the noise from airliners doing reverse thrust.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you serious?

I live about that far from MDW... During high school in the morning, louder jets departing MDW (727s, DC-9s) would shake the windows at the classrooms. That's 6 1/2 miles from MDW. Not shake hard, but vibrate.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah the 41 has amazing reverse. It's approved for power back operations. Not sure if all turboprops are able to do that. We hardly ever do it, but it's part of the sim training. Just DON'T use the brakes to stop when powering back!

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Caravan, we weren't allowed to use Beta for short-field landings or otherwise since we had composite blades. Wasn't a factor at PHX, but some of the smaller strips we'd drop into, it would've been nice to have.

[ QUOTE ]
Marine Corps Boot Camp, San Diego...we were located right beside the runway at KSAN. All day and all night, that's all you heard........................ I never really had time to spot or marvel at all of the airplanes

[/ QUOTE ]

How come you had no time to watch planes?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Marine Corps Boot Camp, San Diego...we were located right beside the runway at KSAN. All day and all night, that's all you heard........................ I never really had time to spot or marvel at all of the airplanes

[/ QUOTE ]

How come you had no time to watch planes?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose if you count watching them while you're being thrashed in the sandpit...
grin.gif

I'm about five miles from PVD myself and I can easily hear the sound of jets reversing and even the beta* from turboprops.

*Thanks to this thread I finally know exactly what that sound is!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Saw an RJ land at Orange County on 19L ... 2900 feet long. Yes, they used the thrusters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm being extremely nice when saying that your very mistaken. That runway is actually only usuable for 2700ft. And theres no way in hell that that plane ever landed on that runway. I land seminoles and senecas on 19L and barely can get it down with a little room to spare.

Show me proof I say! Show me proof! Never!

Plus, that runway has no instrument approach.

Never flown in to SNA myself, but I must agree with Mr. IVC on this one ... no way did an RJ land on 19L at SNA. I doubt the performance charts would permit stopping in under 3000' under the best of circumstances, to say nothing of pavement strength restrictions on a runway that small. I believe Doug, and others who've flown airliners in to SNA, will tell you that the pucker factor is high enough with the 5700' 1L/19R.

FL270

[quote see and hear reverse thrust are two differnt things. You may just see the buckets being deployed, but again its techniques and company policies. Also, at mine and most ERJ companies, rev thrust for taxi or power backs is not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kingairer- i don't understand-why do they just deploy the buckets? When the buckets are open and you hear the loud noise, my assumption is that TR is being used.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. If the aircraft can be stopped using brakes/spoiler safely why use the reversers? There are a lot of maintenance and noise issues involved with reversers. It's cheaper to buy new brakes than overhaul or replace the engine(s).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...that's not what I was told by flightsafety and simuflite. The only way I can see reverse hurting your motors is if you use more then reverse idle below the recommended speed and suck in some fod. Our motors have a TBO of over 10,000hrs, they last forever. In contrast, our brakes cost a little over $20,000 a side to overhaul.

Back