ERD jumpseat

In my experience, you won't have to worry about how uncomfortable or comfortable an American Eagle ERJ-145/140/135 jumpseat may be because if it comes down to that, the flight will be weight restricted to the point where you won't get on anyway. I have occupied an Eagle Embraer jumpseat only once (and been left behind a handful of times) and that was only because a couple cabin seats were MEL'd.

My cockpit jumpseat comfort experiences in order of least favorite to favorite:

737 (2nd jumpseat)
Shorts 360
EMB-145 Series
EMB-170 Series
CRJ Series
737 (main jumpseat)
Airbus A320 Series (either jumpseat)
DC-8

I really don't have a problem with the CRJ's jumpseat and I've been on it a few times recently. I'm not a big fan of the jumpseat of the type I fly (145). It's loud and pretty cramped. A tip is to snag a couple pillows and a blanket from the cabin. Through 10,000 or so, put the seatback down onto the seat and sit on top of that. Use the pillows and blanket for cushion. You can re-fasten the lap belt. The result is that you sit a little higher and a little farther back which gives you more legroom. An inch counts in this jumpseat. A bonus is that it is also easier to open the flightdeck door to pass service items if necessary, since the seatback isn't locked in front of it.

Mike

Best jumpseat I've had so far...

Delta 777ER, got lucky enough to ride one from LAX to ATL...nice and comfy. Best part, Captain told me to go catch a nap in crew rest area...that rocked hardcore :rawk:

The Q400 has an alright jumpseat, it's like alittle cubby hole...atleast you have something to lean against to catch some sleep!

I know I ride is ride and you are thankful for it. With that said I don't know how anyone could ride on the CRJ jumpseat. I've jumpseated numerous times and that seat is the absolute worse. Can the ERJ even take a jumpseater? Everytime I try on Eagle they seem to be weight restricted(tried 3X).

That is because JFK is a 140 and 135 base.:banghead: Our 145's can take full fuel, bags, 50 people, and a jumpseater.

I do like the middle jumpseat on the 767. The 777 is similar I think. Also the back jumpseat on the 330 (and I would guess 340) is just fine.

I have yet to find a narrow body jumpseat that is actually "comfortable" although there are a few (Airbus middle seat, 727 observer seat) which aren't too bad.

I hate all of them. So far, I haven't found one yet where my feet touch the floor. By the end of the first 30 minutes, my legs and feet are all tingly. By the end of the first hour, my legs and feet are numb. It's fun to watch me try to walk out of there at the end of the flight.

That's right, honey. Spending time with Embraer pilots will leave you walking funny EVERY time.

Giggity. :laff:

One way to make the ERJ jumpseat just a bit more comfortable is to do this:

1. Get two pillow's (Eagle only has blankets I think... so that should work too)
2. When you get up to 10,000 then pull the back of the jumpseat down.
3. Place the blankets/pillows on the backside of the jumpseat back.
4. Have a seat, buckle the lap belt, and enjoy!

Uber comfy for an ERJ!

Regarding DAL... I've commuted out of there several times last year on SWA to SAT and I didn't need to be in uniform. Hope that helps.

Bob

I was in a United 757 jumpseat earlier this month and the captain made a VERY big point to brief me on the little foot rest because apparently since January there have been 4 instances of pilots chopping off a finger while messing with it.

Are you serious? What is so dangerous about that foot rest? As you can tell I have never jumped on a pax 757.

The UPS 757 jumpseat were great..I enjoyed the coffee maker right in the cockpit...

In my experience, you won't have to worry about how uncomfortable or comfortable an American Eagle ERJ-145/140/135 jumpseat may be because if it comes down to that, the flight will be weight restricted to the point where you won't get on anyway. I have occupied an Eagle Embraer jumpseat only once (and been left behind a handful of times) and that was only because a couple cabin seats were MEL'd.

My cockpit jumpseat comfort experiences in order of least favorite to favorite:

737 (2nd jumpseat)
Shorts 360
EMB-145 Series
EMB-170 Series
CRJ Series
737 (main jumpseat)
Airbus A320 Series (either jumpseat)
DC-8

I really don't have a problem with the CRJ's jumpseat and I've been on it a few times recently. I'm not a big fan of the jumpseat of the type I fly (145). It's loud and pretty cramped. A tip is to snag a couple pillows and a blanket from the cabin. Through 10,000 or so, put the seatback down onto the seat and sit on top of that. Use the pillows and blanket for cushion. You can re-fasten the lap belt. The result is that you sit a little higher and a little farther back which gives you more legroom. An inch counts in this jumpseat. A bonus is that it is also easier to open the flightdeck door to pass service items if necessary, since the seatback isn't locked in front of it.

Mike

I would say the worst jumpseat I have ever been on would be the Saab 340A. Anything over 40 minutes and you can't feel anything below your waist and your back is killing you.

On a related note, who here has jumpseated on SWA from DAL airport?

Last time I tried that, I was not in uniform, they wouldn't let me through security without a ticket, and they wanted me to wait in this enormously long line at the ticket counter to get a some sort of security pass.

Has it gotten any better?

Thanks guys.....

When you call the non rev service make sure you copy down the security access code. Go up to the SWA machines right in front of the TSA line and punch in those digits. You can then get your security document right there and be on your way!

The only downside of the 757 on UPS is that it can get a little cramped if there are a couple of you up there.

I was lucky, there were only two of us jumpseating.

When you call the non rev service make sure you copy down the security access code. Go up to the SWA machines right in front of the TSA line and punch in those digits. You can then get your security document right there and be on your way!

hmm, I tried that before and got the message to see an agent...

I was lucky, there were only two of us jumpseating.

Yeah, that's not too bad, then. The UPS guys have said it's really tight when you have like 4 guys and you're going from ONT to SDF.

I'm with you on having the Hot Cup close, though. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a lip when you pour. It makes a bit of a mess and that water is hot!

Yeah, that's not too bad, then. The UPS guys have said it's really tight when you have like 4 guys and you're going from ONT to SDF.

I'm with you on having the Hot Cup close, though. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a lip when you pour. It makes a bit of a mess and that water is hot!

pour faster....:sarcasm:

Yup four would be tight on a leg that long...We had 4 JS going from ONT to LEX in the 727 and that was crazy tight...That was 5 people in the cockpit and two crammed on the FA jumpseat by L1 (loud and cold in the freight birds).

BTW: anyone jumping on Kalitta's 727's out of LEX be sure to dress warmly. If you get stuck in the back it quite cold (50's).

Back