ERAU VS. Community College

ERAUwannabe

Hi, in Maryland there is a program where you learn how to fly at a local FBO (freeway aviation) while going to a community college for 2 years and then another 2 at the University of maryland for a 4 year degree. Its much cheaper than going to ERAU but im hesitant of doing this since I wont have ERAU's name on my resume to give to the airlines. Could anybody give me some feedback on the pro's and cons of doing this instead of paying the $130k to go to ERAU. Thanks

The Global Aviation Degree Program of Utah Valley State College is a distance-learning program that is cheaper than ERAU. You can complete a 4 year aviation degree entirely online. You can fly at a local Part 61 or 141 FBO as long as it is approved by UVSC. Airlines don't care what school you get your degree from as long as it's legit.

UVSC Aviation

Andrew,

While I don’t have a single negative thing to say about ERAU, other than its expensive, I would have to say go to the community college and then onto the University of Maryland to earn your associates. As I’m sure you have already figured out, you will save a bundle of money, and in the long run it really doesn’t matter where you received your training. The FAA holds everyone to the same aeronautical standards through the process of checkrides. The airlines just want to know what ratings you hold, how many hours you have, and what type of hours they are, not where you were trained.

On a second note, I think almost everyone on this board would agree when I say get a non aviation degree. Times are tough, and if you can’t fly for whatever reason, you better have a marketable degree to fall back on!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
smile.gif

Ryan

I have gone through the same situation that you have. First let me say Calm down alittle. Your 15 and have alot of time. Go through all of your options. I've changed my mind 10 times until I figured out what I want to do. I've allways wanted to be a pilot, but the way the economy is now I'm not going to rest my future on beeing a Airline Pilot. I can allways do that later. Good Luck

"On a second note, I think almost everyone on this board would agree when I say get a non aviation degree. Times are tough, and if you can’t fly for whatever reason, you better have a marketable degree to fall back on!" Posted by flyitup.

A degree is a degree as long as it is from a 4 year college or university. Marketable, with an aviation degree, is all on your shoulders when it comes to finding that job in a tight market. You will have a hard time locating that good paying job either way. I worked at Krispy Kreme as an asst. mgr. when furloughed once. I don't think there is a corelation between managing a store and flying the line. You just have to look for the opportunities and apply yourself. It won't just show up answering ads in the local news paper.

[ QUOTE ]
A degree is a degree as long as it is from a 4 year college or university.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that one!! If aviation is what you like most, get your degree in aviation!! There are many jobs/careers that require a degree, and that's it. Just a degree...they don't care what it says on the diploma.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, in Maryland there is a program where you learn how to fly at a local FBO (freeway aviation) while going to a community college for 2 years and then another 2 at the University of maryland for a 4 year degree. Its much cheaper than going to ERAU but im hesitant of doing this since I wont have ERAU's name on my resume to give to the airlines. Could anybody give me some feedback on the pro's and cons of doing this instead of paying the $130k to go to ERAU. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

i doubt if the airlines are if your degree was from ERAU or a local state school as long as it is from a 4 year college

After your 2 years at a CC you can transfer everything to Riddle and they'll probably take you in

After your 2 years at a CC you can transfer everything to Riddle and they'll probably take you in [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is far from the truth. If you did plan on going this option you need to check with ERAU on the classes that they will accept and those they will not. I have plenty of friends that tried this and ended up staying at Riddle for 3 years after two at a CC.

With the whole School topic, when applying for an airline job if you did go through an Aviation Degree program you are going to look better than someone that didn't. The reason's are that with you AOC being flying you are learning the in depth knowledge of Systems and how the whole system works.

Now on the other side of that, yes you may look a little better on a resume, but if the airline industry's bottom ever fall's out and you don't have a senority number to keep a flight slot, you are screwed. With another degree you can always pursue that and keep food on the table.

"when applying for an airline job if you did go through an Aviation Degree program you are going to look better than someone that didn't"

Not sure where you are getting your information but my experience has been exactly the opposite. When I got hired at a major, nobody cared where you went to school or what your degree was in.

Back