ERAU Sub-standard?

MAS

Why are Riddle-grads so sub-standard compared to other pilot mills products
I had a Riddle-grad interview where I work, an aeronautical engineer, he could NOT recite the lift formula by rote learning much less explain it. I have met several like him, huge ego's from Riddle, but no real knowledge.
When it comes to piloting skills I have yet to see a Riddle pilot perform to standards! Missing radio calls, unprocedural with poor aeronautical decision pretty much sums up what I have seen. yet, these riddle-grads don't refrain from telling the whole world what a great place ERAU is and how their pilots get the jet commands with low (500-700hrs) time. Reminds me of the last guy, from riddle, who departed with a stickshaker going off and then crashed in the RWY on a sim-eval.
Call it flamebait if you want!

Yeah, but ERAU worked for the webmaster, baby! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

You have to realize that it's not the flight school, but the pilot. The US military has the absolute best training on earth, but even they produce a few bad apples. Does that necessarily mean that UPT is a weak program?

Flight schools teach procedure ONLY. It's up to the pilot to develop judgement.

BTW, the lift formula?

I think I'd be much more comfortable with a pilot that knew the IFR alternate weather requirements cold or the requirements of exemption 3585 by heart rather than a largely unusable formula.

As a riddle student I have to fully agree with you. I think some people here just get lucky on checkrides. Try flying around the local area with a bunch of Riddle pilots and you realize that there are alot of poor ones out there. I think the problem is that the school just constantly tells us how much better prepared we will be which leads alot of people to slack off and not bother retaining information.

Keep in mind that all of the large flight schools face this phenom. If you catch Comair, UND, ERAU, FSI and Pan Am grads in the same room, there is going to be an ego-fest.

Believe me, I saw it at Skyway ALL the time.

At Delta, it's Navy vs. Air Force vs. Marines and all of those guys tease the Army and Coast Guard guys.

I really didn't know that all Riddle grads were horrible pilots. I guess all of the airlines out there that hire them better open their eyes get with the program.

Also, 500-700 hours into the jet. Now? Are we talking about the same industry here? Last I checked 500-700 hours won't even get me an interview.

I've flown with about 20-30 guys from Riddle, and yes, I have flown with people who miss calls or screw up procedures. I'd say 1 or 2. You've never missed a radio call? For the most part, the guys I've flown with are very safe and they know their material. I've also flown with the stereotypical "Cocky Riddle Grad" who is probably 21 or 22, drives a BMW, and didn't pay for a dime of his education. Not knocking the younger guys, but when I was 21 I thought I was the s*&% too.

I think saying "Why do all Riddle grads suck?", Is like saying "Why do all French people smell?" It's simply a stereotype.

By the way, I didn't go to Riddle.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I really didn't know that all Riddle grads were horrible pilots. I guess all of the airlines out there that hire them better open their eyes get with the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah! I can't land a plane to save my life!

I'm a terrible pilot!

Don't tell the passengers that! OR let the Captain land the plane, then nobody will find out.

alright, enough of the $10 words here!

dictionary.com reveals:
facetious \fuh-SEE-shuhs\, adjective:
1. Given to jesting; playfully jocular.
2. Amusing; intended to be humorous; not serious.

ok then: so was I, I just never knew the word facetious.

As a Riddle IP, I enjoy coming to this site to read people's comments and provide any assistance that I can in response to people's questions. This post is really interesting because it demonstrates how one person's opinion can put a judgement on all pilots from an institution like Riddle. I'm not saying that Riddle is a perfect place. BUT, in comparison to alot of other places I have worked, I have to say that Riddle is by far the most professional, quality school I have worked at. Like any school, there are going to be pilots who don't have the skills necessary to succeed, and those pilots are(hopefully) weeded out during their course of training. It is irresponsible to place judgement on any institution based on the interaction with a few. There are many good flying programs out there and to get into a argument about which ones are better based on immature banter is a sign that maybe you have issues of your own. And the comment about not knowing the lift formula? I'm not going to waste my time typing a response. Just check out Doug's comments. Maybe you should base your interviews on practical knowledge as opposed to CLS(q/2)V2

Doug wrote:

Keep in mind that all of the large flight schools face this phenom. If you catch Comair, UND, ERAU, FSI and Pan Am grads in the same room, there is going to be an ego-fest.

Believe me, I saw it at Skyway ALL the time.

At Delta, it's Navy vs. Air Force vs. Marines and all of those guys tease the Army and Coast Guard guys.

Man, I'm screwed! FlightSafety pilot, ERAU graduate (to be), and former Navy backseater!!! No wonder I'm a pompous ass! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Chunk &lt;---misses a radio call every once in a while...not often, though!

It's true. When my next captain asks "Hey, who did ya fly with your last rotation", and I answer "John Doe" - there's a good chance that he'll reply, "Isn't John Doe a former Marine? Wow, what did you think?" haha!

That happens ALL of the time.

A large percentage of pilots think they're "hotel sierra" but I think the best pilots are the ones that realize that flying is an art and not a science. I remember all of the power settings I learned back in flight training. Wow, those work in CESSNA's, but when you hop in a turboprop or a jet for real, you put the throttle where it has to go to give you what you need.

Back