ERAU FOFT PROGRAM

"A recent Embry-Riddle survey shows that commercial aviation will need more than 11,000 new pilots by 2003, yet only slightly more than 7,500 qualified civilian and military pilots will enter the field that year"

Gotta love Riddle math. It looks like they haven't looked at the aviation industry much lately. Maybe that Aero Sci degree will actually get some use this year and I'll get a job.

Just out of curiosty does anyone know what type sims they're using in their FOFT program??

And cut Riddle some slack about the pilot hiring forecast!! When it actually does happen in a few decades they will be able to say they were the first to predict it!
grin.gif

Jason

I don't get, Riddle says there won't be enought pilots to fill all the airline jobs so aspiring pilots should pay 50k or whatever horrific price it is when they could possibly be already getting paid at a regional? Am I missing something?

-FlyCanuck

Huh?????

I don't understand how they could be getting paid at a regional before they even go thru flight training???

Jason

So does anyone know anything about this program? Also is it the same thing as the CAPT program? How much does it cost? Lots of questions and no answers. I called ERAU today and got transfered five times until they sent me to Paul Winsor. But he wasn't there so I left a message. It kind of seems like this program is a little uncoordinated. If anyone can provide some information about the program it would be a big help. Thanks

Yeah some guy called me back named seth. He said the program was fairly new and cost exactly 65 grand. But I still don't understand the reality of getting a regional job with only 350 hours tt after completion of this program with no CFI's either. Could someone help me out.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah some guy called me back named seth. He said the program was fairly new and cost exactly 65 grand. But I still don't understand the reality of getting a regional job with only 350 hours tt after completion of this program with no CFI's either. Could someone help me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. It's buy-a-job by a different name.

Sure. It's buy-a-job by a different name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

I have been monitoring this website for about 4 weeks and finally decided to make my 1st posting here rather that at the tale end of a 2 or 3 page post. Do you or Doug consider the FOFT to be a PTA and what are your criteria? Does your experience as commercial pilot and the pilots that you have come in contact with give you a good "feel" to the training available out there? ERAU is stating that the airlines are coming to them asking for older (or at least more mature) pilots that have been thorough an "airline" training enviornment as opposed to CFI traiing at slow speeds. Do you disagree with this assesment or that the industry moving in this direction or are they just looking for us older "never-was" to take "dream jobs" at the regonals with no potential to move to the heavy iorn.

Thanks

P.S. Let me know if you think that this would generate more traffic on one of the other threads.

I don't regularly read all of the posts, so I aplogize for not seeing this earlier.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you or Doug consider the FOFT to be a PTA and what are your criteria?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what PTA is besides Parent Teacher Association!
smile.gif
I've been in the aviation biz for about ten years and I really haven't seen any significant success stories from kids that do the PFT thing. In my personal opinion, PFT is costly, detrimental to the industry and you might only save a bit of time in getting in the cockpit.

But, at the cost of a tremendous amount of money (!!) and at the negative impact on the rest of the industry.

[ QUOTE ]
Does your experience as commercial pilot and the pilots that you have come in contact with give you a good "feel" to the training available out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partially. But I keep my ears and eyes open, talk to lots of people and get lots of feedback. I know what worked and didn't work in my career path and have a good nose for who is speaking the truth and who is bending it.

[ QUOTE ]
ERAU is stating that the airlines are coming to them asking for older (or at least more mature) pilots that have been thorough an "airline" training enviornment as opposed to CFI traiing at slow speeds. Do you disagree with this assesment or that the industry moving in this direction or are they just looking for us older "never-was" to take "dream jobs" at the regonals with no potential to move to the heavy iorn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, I'm a happy ERAU graduate, but I've got to say that this is marketing. I know personally, some of the hiring managers at the top airlines and I seriously doubt if they're looking at flight schools to produce better applicants. Airlines have a pretty good idea what mixture of exposure and experience make a successful job candidate and they screen resumes to look for those traits.

ERAU, like every other flight school, is in the business to make a profit in a very competitive environment. The training at ERAU is fantastic, but where you train is only a small portion of the entire portfolio you've got to build to reach your career goals.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Doug. It is a big help.

[/ QUOTE ]

And sorry too for my not having checked back on this thread, but Doug pretty much summed it all up well.

Back