ERAU and Post 9/11 GiBill

Gmata

Hello Guys,

I am new to the forum, I am attending ERAU in Prescott starting Summer of 2011 as many of you guys know the Post 9/11 GiBill is no longer covering the flight expenses starting August. So at least i am going to get 2-3 months of free flight training.

I have already been accepted for both Summer periods, but i would like to know if there are any other options to get all my flying covered by ERAU.

I do not have a degree so i will taking the Aeronautical Science degree.

One more thing, i am already 26 years old, i Spent 6 years in the Airforce as a C-17 Aircrew member. I will be 30 by the time i finish school. Is that too old to get a Job in the Airlines?

Thanks,

Gonzo

Here's the source:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/index.html "Private and foreign school costs are capped at $17,500 annually."

Aviator College http://www.aviator.edu/ is Post/911 and Montgomery Bill approved and is applying for Yellow Ribbon matching funding: http://www.gibill.va.gov/school-certifying-officials/yellow-ribbon-agreement/ "This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the $17,500.00 cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution."

Hello Guys,

I am new to the forum, I am attending ERAU in Prescott starting Summer of 2011 as many of you guys know the Post 9/11 GiBill is no longer covering the flight expenses starting August. So at least i am going to get 2-3 months of free flight training.

I have already been accepted for both Summer periods, but i would like to know if there are any other options to get all my flying covered by ERAU.

I do not have a degree so i will taking the Aeronautical Science degree.

One more thing, i am already 26 years old, i Spent 6 years in the Airforce as a C-17 Aircrew member. I will be 30 by the time i finish school. Is that too old to get a Job in the Airlines?

Thanks,

Gonzo

If you plan on flying planes, I'd say to look at other options. If you've ever in your life been interested in flying helos, you can go to the local community college for the first couple of years then transfer into ERAU to finish up your Bachelor's. There isn't a "fees cap" I don't think, so you'll be able to run all of the way through your CFI and II pretty quickly (maybe a year or so), and you could even transfer over after that. There are many other options too, and if you want to talk to someone who's looked at nearly every single option out there...PM me.

Keep in mind that there is new legislation in the works concerning the new VA amendments, and the possibility of this "grandfather clause" is looking pretty good. (We aren't the only college/university that has been affected by this). Though, there still hasn't been any mention as to when you would/will have had to start the program to be a part of that. I've already been here for a year, and we bug everyone we can bug about it every chance we get! This is purely speculation, but there MAY be a CHANCE that as long as you've started before August 1. 2011...you're good to go. Like I said, if you want to be in the KNOW...shoot me a PM and I'll give you my # and I can get you up to speed.

Here's the source:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/index.html "Private and foreign school costs are capped at $17,500 annually."

Aviator College http://www.aviator.edu/ is Post/911 and Montgomery Bill approved and is applying for Yellow Ribbon matching funding: http://www.gibill.va.gov/school-certifying-officials/yellow-ribbon-agreement/ "This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the $17,500.00 cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution."

Just to clear up any confusion with your wording, (and I may have read your post in a manner other than you intended it to look), the YR program is only good for covering tuition and fees directly related to tuition itself. Flight fees are not covered under the YR program the way you might be thinking. Basically, the school is not going to 'out-of'pocket' half of whatever flight fees are accrued, while the VA takes care of their half; believe you me, I looked into it :/

One will need to find a state-funded college or university in order to partake in a degree/flight training program from here on out, unfortunately.

WOW—this new “Improved CHP 33 2.0” GI Bill, is driving me crazy!!!!!!!! I’ve spent countless hours trying to research the changes: My son has been excepted to ERAU starting this Fall—he will be using my GI Bill, post 9-11 “2.0” which I’ve already transferred to him. When we began this process it appeared all cost would be covered to include “Flight Training” since it was being conducted at a “IHL” under an approved Degree program. Now I’m learning this is no longer the Case?? I originally thought these new “Improvements” were in “addition” to the Benefits already in affect (i.e. you can now take Flight Training at a non IHL—for up to 10K per year) not in lieu of??. I can’t get a straight answer from the VA Rep’s at ERAU or the Finance office. This is a MAJOR factor on our decision, as you can Imagine. Anyone at ERAU who has firsthand knowledge on the “Real Deal” ?? also now that I’m learning this “New Info” I’m looking at alternatives ; thus far I’ve found “Florida Institute of Technology”, there website (as does ERAU’ for that matter) still depicts basically a 100% tuition to include “Flight fee’s” with the combination of the GI Bill & Yellow Ribbon Program. Of course I’d hate to start from ground zero on the application/admissions process – But for the 50 to 70K out of pocket expenses Im now looking at I’d be willing to do what I have to do…… Thanks for any Help / Advice………

Update: It looks like as of July 21, 2011, the Senate FINALLY passed legislation allowing students that were part of a degree program as of January 4, 2011 (formerly April 1, 2011) to finish as planned... http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-2011-07-21/pdf/CREC-2011-07-21-pt1-PgS4810-2.pdf#page=1 From what I can tell, there might be certain GPA requirements and it won't take effect until possibly October 1, 2011. You can read the above for yourself.

So, unfortunately, it looks as though for people looking to start one of these flight programs at a PRIVATE university post January 1, 2011...and have everything taken care of will have to exercise alternative options. I do know that as of August 1, 2011, the "cap for fees" (flight fees included) are to be lifted for public colleges/universities. This would really only effect you if you were looking specifically for a program at an IHL to include a PRIVATE institution; dare I say programs like UND (no offense, lol) should remain unaffected, as well as the many other programs that have blossomed as of late. If looking for fixed wing, I know of a really good school in Grand Junction, CO that just paired up with the local college (Mesa State College) to start an associated program taking you from zero time through CFI/CFII/MEI. I did my private fixed-wing certificate with these guys and they were awesome. I will more than likely finish my fixed wing stuff with them as soon as I finish the RW CFI/CFII ratings. I will have to check on their latest status regarding the use of VA benefits though. My guess is, that if not fully certified, they will be very soon.

Any other specific questions about the recently passed bill pertaining to HR 1383, or alternative programs to check out, don't hesitate to reply on here or shoot me a PM. I will help in any way that I can.

Thanks for the Info man, What do you mean that no offense on programs like UND? does UND have a bad reputation?

I was being facetious, lol. I'm sure UND has a great program, but in my experience...all big name universities that have well-known flight programs go a bit overboard, including ERAU. I am not involved in their fixed wing program but have friends that are and have been. I fly helicopters with UHI and don't have to deal with the BS that the friends have/do. IMO, you need to find a college that has an agreement with a flight school away from the college itself. There seems to be a better caliber of instructor, as they generally aren't there just to waste students time and money (they are there for more than just building time). Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of turds everywhere...just do your research and so as to be well prepared!

Back