EnRoute Weather?

[ QUOTE ]
What is the best way to obtain weather while enroute? thanks..

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Flight Watch

2. TWEB

3. Center WX Advisory

4. ACARS (airliners)

I always just tune to Flight Watch on 122.0 and they can give you just about any type of specific weather information you request. Keep in mind though that they close at night after 10 PM, so you'll have to contact the FSS for enroute weather during night hours.

Flight watch is also where any pilot reports you make should go.

I always found HIWAS to be particularly useful, especially during the summer with all the afternoon convection that tends to pop up.

Here's a question that I was pondering at work today and couldn't find a definite answer to-

Reporting unforecast WX is a required report when IFR. So, when you run into it and report it, does it get issued as a PIREP, or do pilots along the route just get advised on an individual basis?

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question that I was pondering at work today and couldn't find a definite answer to-

Reporting unforecast WX is a required report when IFR. So, when you run into it and report it, does it get issued as a PIREP, or do pilots along the route just get advised on an individual basis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would figure it's become a PIREP that ATC would pass to aircraft around your area.

Well, thats what I would think too. But the seemingly few number of published PIREPS compared to the seemingly frequent unforecast weather is what made me wonder.

I know that whenever I fly, I try to give a pilot report for each and every leg that I fly. I sometimes check on DUAT to see if the PIREP has been published, and most of the time (9 out of 10) it is.

Often times, that unforecast weather isn't published with the PIREPS, but it is passed on to other aircraft in the vicinity. An example of this would been when you're flying in and around thunderstorms and turbulence. The controllers will often tell you what an aircraft 10 miles ahead of you is experiencing, and what you can expect!!

I've always heard that they only file information as a PIREP when you specifically tell them that you are giving them a PIREP. Otherwise, they assume that it is just for the controller's information.

Additionally, you can call FSS or Flightwatch on their dedicated frequencies to file PIREPS.

Back