Enroute vs. TRACON Difficulty

moulds80

Which type of facility is harder to successfully check out in and than work in, especially in regards to level 11’s and 12’s? I have heard Enroute is easier from some, but it seems like the OKC training and facility check out time is shorter for TRACON most of the time.

The level of a facility is deterined by the amount of traffic, it always depends on which center you go to but as a rule TRACONs at an 11 or 12 level is much harder. Think of the amount of traffic as a pie enroute may have slightly more traffic but have MANY more positions to divide it between and alot more airspace to spread it throughout. Whereas with a TRACON ALOT fewer positions and almost the same amount of traffic.

The level of a facility is deterined by the amount of traffic, it always depends on which center you go to but as a rule TRACONs at an 11 or 12 level is much harder. Think of the amount of traffic as a pie enroute may have slightly more traffic but have MANY more positions to divide it between and alot more airspace to spread it throughout. Whereas with a TRACON ALOT fewer positions and almost the same amount of traffic.

Does facility complexity factor in as well?

Does facility complexity factor in as well?
Yes, facility complexity does factor in. A lot of different variables go into calculating facility complexity. From what I heard, things like:

Airspace volume
Number of primary and secondary airports
Number of instrument approaches
Military traffic volume

It all gets taken into account when determining a facility level.

It's not such an easy question to ask whether or not EnRoute vs. TRACON is harder. Since I am not a controller, I won't tell you what I think. But from what I have heard, most major TRACONS are thought to be harder then most Centers. But within a Center itself, you can usually find a specific sector or two that are f-ing crazy hard. Usually low alt sectors.

Back