Enlisted combat pilots?

If the man says wear a red t-shirt if you want on the ride, wear the red t-shirt and get on the ride.

Or don't. It don't make Mista Chow no difference if you do or do not!
They're talking about the military here though. I have to assume the military actually wants critical thinking and outside the box ideas to advance their cause, at least at the officer level, one would hope. Unlike the airlines who profess to want that, but in reality, to just stfu and color. Entirely different things with different goals.

If the man says wear a red t-shirt if you want on the ride, wear the red t-shirt and get on the ride.

Or don't. It don't make Mista Chow no difference if you do or do not!

Been working on mine.... again, for the last year and a half. But you missed my point.

They're talking about the military here though. I have to assume the military actually wants critical thinking and outside the box ideas to advance their cause, at least at the officer level, one would hope. Unlike the airlines who profess to want that, but in reality, to just stfu and color. Entirely different things with different goals.

So now people w/out degrees can't think outside the box, or think critically?

I've worked with incredibly smart folks, as well as incredible dumb dumbs in probably every rank in the military, at least E-1 through O-8 (have not every directly worked with a 3 or 4 star, thankfully). To say that the O-grades have an inherent superiority over E's in decision making/intelligence/ability to get through a trade school (i.e. flight school)/leadership, is absurd, to say the least. When I was a maintenance division officer, I had plenty of extremely capable Sailors, who could have easily made it through flight school. I wrote LORs for several of them who applied to commissioning programs, and in the years since, a couple did do just that. So I've got no issue with the idea. But I do question what problem this is attempting to solve. It certainly is not solving USAF retention problems, nor would it in the future. The way I read it, this is written (even if not explicitly so) purely to create UAS pilots. If so, that might make sense for the AF, who has a pretty broad UAS community at this point, compared to the other services.

Uncle Joe Stalin had the exact same thing going right before the war. That was relatively short lived and caused a bit of confusion, when the pilot was a sergeant and as the commander of the aircraft was the ranking officer to the lieutenant navigator and master sergeant gunner. It was a bit easier in the fighter units, except the command there was merit based and there was some grumbling from the pre-change 1st lieutenant wingmen about their master sergeant wing leads.
A mess in other words.

Uncle Joe Stalin had the exact same thing going right before the war. That was relatively short lived and caused a bit of confusion, when the pilot was a sergeant and as the commander of the aircraft was the ranking officer to the lieutenant navigator and master sergeant gunner. It was a bit easier in the fighter units, except the command there was merit based and there was some grumbling from the pre-change 1st lieutenant wingmen about their master sergeant wing leads.
A mess in other words.

It ain't that weird in practice. Step into my new world of 2 seat fighters (was always single seat before). My skipper (CO/CC, whatever you want to call it) is a WSO, former RIO. We fly all the time together, one might even say we are quasi crewed together. I'm a senior O-3/(O-4 select), he is a senior O-5, so maybe not quite as much pay grade difference as your example, but I am still quite definitely junior to him and he is my boss's boss. I will always be the aircraft commander, and I will also always be the only one who can release ordnance from the aircraft. I'll also generally be the instructor (not for him, but for the junior guys in our flight). Never had a problem with that arrangement, and I think the military does a good job overall, in a multi-place aircraft, of checking rank at the door.......we make decisions together as a crew, and while I trust his experience and judgement, if he was for some bizarre reason, trying to talk me into a bad decision, I wouldn't hesitate to go ICS off and do what I need to do.....we can talk about it safely on the ground, and I know that is what he would expect me to do as well, as the "man"......not that such a thing would ever happen, but the designation of aircraft commander is not subject to rank.

It ain't that weird in practice. Step into my new world of 2 seat fighters (was always single seat before). My skipper (CO/CC, whatever you want to call it) is a WSO, former RIO. We fly all the time together, one might even say we are quasi crewed together. I'm a senior O-3/(O-4 select), he is a senior O-5, so maybe not quite as much pay grade difference as your example, but I am still quite definitely junior to him and he is my boss's boss. I will always be the aircraft commander, and I will also always be the only one who can release ordnance from the aircraft. I'll also generally be the instructor (not for him, but for the junior guys in our flight). Never had a problem with that arrangement, and I think the military does a good job overall, in a multi-place aircraft, of checking rank at the door.......we make decisions together as a crew, and while I trust his experience and judgement, if he was for some bizarre reason, trying to talk me into a bad decision, I wouldn't hesitate to go ICS off and do what I need to do.....we can talk about it safely on the ground, and I know that is what he would expect me to do as well, as the "man"......not that such a thing would ever happen, but the designation of aircraft commander is not subject to rank.

I’m continuously amazed at justifications like this.

How many people here have been senior in rank to a flight lead? How many multicrew aircraft fly with some serious rank on board knowing dude is not in charge when the engine catches fire?

A qual like aircraft or mission commander isn’t a given based upon rank. Go ask the 160th if you think otherwise. Their flight leads... with very very few exception are warrants not RLOs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent some time in Kevin Barry's last week, on the subject of the 160th........some pretty moving stuff upstairs I gotta say.

Back