Engine Out

I've got an even stupider scenario.

N12345 - Tower declaring an emergency engine is running rough/out.
Tower - N12345 remain clear of my airspace.

What do you do?

lol.

Land right in front of the tower cab. Will save you the walk to give 'em a piece of your mind :)

You are flying a Cessna 172 and your engine goes out at 3,000 AGL 5 miles from KACY approaching from the south you can go staight in runway 22 but the winds are 130 @ 10 Gusting 25 Knots Do you Circle and Land Runway 22 or Try For Runway 13, Runway 22 You have to land and Hold Short Runway 13-31

Runway 22-04 is 6144 Feet Available Landing Distance is 4000 Feet
Runway 13-31 is 10000 Feet Full Length but you must push the aircraft off before the next arrival

What do you do?

You own that airport once you declare. Don't let ATC tell you that you "must" land on a specific runway, or that you "must" land and hold short. Land on whichever runway is safest for you, keeping ATC in the loop so they can clear traffic for you.

As far as landing at a closed airport when ACY is available and has emergency equipment: Why on earth would you do that?

You are flying a Cessna 172 and your engine goes out at 3,000 AGL 5 miles from KACY approaching from the south you can go staight in runway 22 but the winds are 130 @ 10 Gusting 25 Knots Do you Circle and Land Runway 22 or Try For Runway 13, Runway 22 You have to land and Hold Short Runway 13-31

Runway 22-04 is 6144 Feet Available Landing Distance is 4000 Feet
Runway 13-31 is 10000 Feet Full Length but you must push the aircraft off before the next arrival

What do you do?
Well, first, the C172 has a about a 700' altitude loss for every 1nm horizontally (approx.) in no wind and a windmilling prop... So you're looking at a minimum of 3,500' AGL (700ft altitude loss x5nm from airport = 3,500'AGL) to make the airport on the numbers. My guess... because you're doing a flow check, and wont be spot on, add in the "oh •" factor. So, closer to 4,000ft AGL. Secondly, if you're south of the airport, you can't physically be "straight in for Rwy. 22" you'd be looking down 04 if you're south of the airport (which is what the conditions are) flying northwards. Third, to answer the question, I'd go straight in for Rwy. 04. 90 knot crosswind at 25 knots which is a 25kt. crosswind component, and max. demonstrated crosswind component is 15.... yeah i'd go for it. I've done 29 knot straight crosswind and landed just fine, 25 ain't no thang. ;-)

What do you do?

lol.
Land. Get out. Walk to the tower, and proceed to whoop some @$$ .

I used to drill my students on these situations and make sure they knew to always land into the wind and land uphill if it's an off airport landing. I taught them everything I thought they should do in an engine out scenario. Then when it happened to me in real life I landed down hill with a tailwind because that was my only option (not enough altitude to turn upwind), and it worked out just fine. My pax and I walked away, got lunch and went on with our day.
Don't over complicate the situation. Just do what you have to do. The only thing you absolutely must do in an emergency is fly the plane.

What do you do?

lol.

"Tower, f*** you. I'm landing."

Just kidding. Kinda.

Back