Engine Failure

davetheflyer

[ QUOTE ]
A possible V1 cut or engine failure with pax? Enjoy the jet, and congrats!

[/ QUOTE ]

FL410, you must have put a curse on me, because yesterday, my second day in the airplane, on my second leg, with all of six hours in type, we had an engine failure just after takeoff from GSO (Greensboro NC).

About 200 AGL, mere seconds after slipping the surly bonds of earth, we got a master caution light and message on our EICAS (engine instrument and crew alerting system) that said "right engine exceeded." When I looked at the instruments, the ITT was flashing red. Anything flashing red in a cockpit is generally not a good sign.

We continued to climb to a safe altitude and cleaned the airplane up. The captain, who was the pilot flying, took the radios, and, as I discussed in the "sim training" thread, I ran the QRH checklist for that message.

We reduced thrust on the engine to idle and contacted our dispatch and maintenance on the radio. At idle, the engine cooled to within limits, but the ITT was high enough that we weren't able to use the engine above idle. Since it was within limits, the checklist gave us discretion on whether to shut it down or not. We kept it running, even though it was useless to us.

We turned the airplane around for GSO and got delaying vectors in order to burn off excess fuel since we were over our maximum landing weight. The captain made an uneventful visual approach and landing.

When our maintenance people arrived, they said, in layman's terms, that the engine just decided to stop working. We lost the hot section of the turbines and many of the stator blades. A boroscope inspection revealed that a new engine was required.

That was my second in-flight engine failure. The first was on the Jetstream last year (I had about 50 hours in type at that point). I can say again that after the sim training, dealing with a real emergency is much easier!

I was gonna say your probably better skilled to handle the problem straight out of training versus four months down the line and forgeting some of the material.
confused.gif

Glad things worked out good for you. I'm not sure how much overweight landings are discouraged on your airframe, but on mine, it's no big deal. Personally, and not saying you did anything wrong, I'd have gotten that two engine plane with one good engine on the ground without worrying about the weight...just food for thought.

Junkstream, you can do a search in this forum for "I have seen the elephant." I described the J41 incident in that post.

We actually have published overweight landing speeds, so I don't think it's really a big deal for us either, but we weren't far above the max, so the captain wanted to delay a few minutes. In all, the whole flight, including taxi, only lasted an hour so we didn't kill a lot of time.

ooo.gif
Seriously, I never put a curse on you! That sounds really out of the ordinary, happy to hear you're ok.
smile.gif

Wow! Glad you were able to make it down safely and that the simulator training paid off! Also, I guess you lived your signature, huh?

Dave, great to hear that you all made it safely back! Okay JC'rs not more hexes and voodoo dolls!

Glad to hear everything went ok ... now you need a t-shirt:

"I upgraded to the Dorkjet and all I got was this lousy t-shirt and an engine failure"

grin.gif

Dave - WHAT DID YOU DO NOW?!?!?!

wink.gif

Kidding.

Glad you're okay!! Chalk it up as a "learn and live" lesson.

Fly Safe!!

R2F

[ QUOTE ]

Dave - WHAT DID YOU DO NOW?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't me, honest!
shocked.gif

I can just picture trying to talk myself out of that one. Only my second day of IOE and now they have to start deducting a multi-million dollar Pratt and Whitney 306B out of my paycheck.
grin.gif

Back