Engine Failure

BoeingDrew

Has anyone, as a passenger or pilot, been on an airplane that had an engine failure? If you have, I'd like to hear about it.

Not a failure per se, but I did have to shut an engine down last year. I wrote about it in a thread called "I have seen the elephant." You can do a search for it.

BoeingDrew
I had to shut an engine down on a BE-200, had a malfunctioning fuel control computer and lost control of the engine, it high sided (ran away) so I shut it down and performed an uneventful landing. I was more concerned (scared) the night I (thought) had a main rotor malfunction on a Cobra Attack Helicopter. It was raining and we just cleared a ridge line and all of a suddent the Helicopter started to shake violently laterally, an indication of a major imbalance, its a good thing I was wearing a helmet because I bounce my head off the canopy a few times. The Pilot Flying that night was a Vietnam Vet and had been shot down once so when he said put out a mayday call we're going down, I believed him. What actually happened was rain had gotten inot the gun controller and shorted it out and the turret was slewing left to right uncontrollably.

Wierd timing. As soon as I got into work(I work the line at an FBO at SMO) a 152's engine quit right after rotation. But I haven't been involved in any engine failures.

When, today
crazy.gif
frown.gif
??? Were you able to get any more info?

3 weeks ago, I was on a 747-400 that had a failure of the no. 1 engine. Had to dump fuel in a hold and return to ATL for landing. Pretty uneventful.

I have personally had "rollbacks" twice, where the engine would decrease in power and not be able to maintain acceptable power (in singles). Both times were near an airport with an uneventful landing, thankfully.

I had an engine fail on me in a seminole on my first flight of training. Huh. Go Figure! We returned to the airport and landed on one engine. We were lucky because it was just me and my instructor so we were able to barely hold altitude. Those seminoles are thee worst single engine performing twins out there!

I've never been involved with an engine failure, but we did have one light on fire one night, well, I guess it was a failure, because after it burned it failed to start! We were in MSN (Madison, WI) and we were taking the airplane up to our maintenance base at SAW (the old AFB up near Marquette MI). We had already sent the pax into the terminal, and it was just a ferry up to SAW, no pax. I had an IOE student with me on this particular trip (I was a instructor flight attendant and I'd take new-hires on my trips after they finished training and before they'd fly on their own). I thought it would be good experience for her to watch the pilots start the engines, this was on the ATR, and I was standing in the back by the door, looking forward, and she was up front watching the guys. Over her shoulder I see the #2 engine fire handle lit up, I didn't think much of it, I thought the guys were just showing her the bells & whistles. Then the F/O comes over the PA, and in the blandest, most uninterested voice I have ever heard, he says "evacuate aircraft left". The way he said it, I didn't quite know what to think, so I opened the service door on the right side of the a/c and stuck my head out just in time to see the POOF from the fire bottle go blowing by me. By that time my student was on her way back to the door, and I almost threw her off the plane, we all run off the plane, the captain runs around the right side, I run around the left, and we all just stand and look and the plane. Meanwhile, the poor station agent is jumping up and down yelling "It was on fire! It was on fire!" We had a great conversation with dispatch explaining why we weren't going to go to SAW that night.

The 152's incident happened on Saturday 6/29 around 1:58 Pacific time. I didn't inquire into the incident, but the pilot did declare an emergency, so it could be looked up easily.

I've never had one go out on my while flying GA, but I did have one go out on me in a CH-46. We were doing night, NVG, doppler hovers over a river and had an engine rollback, which is common in the 46 community. We lost lift and went into the river. The pilots kept it hovering in the water, while us crewman dumped the life rifts and anything to lighten the load. It still didn't work so the aircraft commander told us to jump ship, so we did. No sooner had we eggressed, they managed to pull it out of the water and fly to the Army Airfiled nearby. So with the rafts no where in sight, we had to swim a mile and a half to shore. We had to walk to some lady house and woke her up to use the phone. We trashed her carpet with sea dye marker.

[ QUOTE ]
we were taking the airplane up to our maintenance base at SAW (the old AFB up near Marquette MI). .

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't KI Sawyer AFB in Gwinn, MI? Or is it considered to be in Marquette?

[ QUOTE ]
We had a great conversation with dispatch explaining why we weren't going to go to SAW that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe... Can't imagine how interesting that conversation went over the phone, but I CAN imagine how the conversation went all along..

pilot: "Uhh, yeah, got a little problem here..."

dispatch: "So long as it's not a big problem."

pilot: "Well, we torched #1 on startup."

dispatch: "That's not a little problem."

pilot: "...and we blew the bottle."

dispatch: "That's DEFINATELY not a little problem.. hold on a sec..."

dispatcher yells across the room to Maintainance Control: "435 baked #1 and blew the bottle... Think he wants to talk to you.... Oh, and hope we have a spare..."

MTC Controller (to no one in particular): "#(*$ #)@(@ #_$)#@_ Mother $#)#$(#) Son of a @#)#@ I can't #$#)$($# believe... $#)($#!!!!!"

dispatch (back on phone to pilot): "Okay, looks like you guys are done..."

pilot: "Can't MEL it, eh?"

dispatch: "............"

(grin)

Paul

Isn't KI Sawyer AFB in Gwinn, MI? Or is it considered to be in Marquette?

You are correct, technically, KI Sawyer is in Gwinn MI. It is located close to Marquette, and we used to serve the old MQT airport, so many of us just thought of it as 'Marquette'.

Back