End of an era. UH-1H Huey

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
It's the end of an era. The US Border Patrol/CBP Air and Marine have formally retired the last pure Bell UH-1H Huey medium lift helicopter. The last conventional H-model Huey, N7247J, was a 1969 model and last served at the Alpine/Marfa, Texas, air unit. 47J, along with all the other H-model Hueys in the BP inventory were all Vietnam veterans, some with multiple combat tours. 47J is now at the El Paso Air Branch and, along with other H-model Hueys located to there, are up for government auction by GSA.

This leaves the only Hueys remaining in CBP inventory to be a few Huey II (Super Hueys), which are modified H-models (single engine) retrofitted with a Bell AH-1F Cobra engine, Cobra wide-chord main and tail rotor blades, and other modifications. These serve in the D.C./Manassas, Va area. As well as a small fleet of ex-USMC zero-timed UH-1N model Twin Hueys with twin engines, which entered service 1 year ago and serve throughout Texas.

Apart from the few Huey IIs, this brings to an end the era of Vietnam War vintage, and combat time, aircraft operated by the US Border Patrol and CBP Air and Marine. The last large fleet of Vietnam aircraft in the fleet were the Hughes OH-6A helos, retired in 2011 after 32 years of service with the agency, and with El Paso, TX again being the last location to fly them. All of them were surplused to state agencies.

(picture credit, Z Adams)

Picture1.jpg

Oh damn. That is sad. I have always looked upon the Huey as THE iconic helicopter of all time.

Posted this before, but it's my favorite video of them in Vietnam:

That, my friend, is an awesome video.

I think @MikeD, friends and I got a little blotto to that song.

Back in the day man, we sure did! Going on what, 27 years ago now?

Yup! Time flies man. Time flies. But we're still cooler than the "Hey! That's a microaggression crowd" with the Hapsburg-era beard and the inability to change a tire.

Yup! Time flies man. Time flies. But we're still cooler than the "Hey! That's a microaggression crowd" with the Hapsburg-era beard and the inability to change a tire.

You would've enjoyed one of the pieces of kit that would occasionally appear on these Hueys of ours, a 1980s boom box strapped to the transmission housing that would mysteriously appear, with 'Nam era music included.

The "Huey" is the first helicopter I flew. I really loved this aircraft; it is a great airframe and a blast to fly.
Sad to see it go...................

Are they being sold at auction?

I'd love a UH-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get surplus UH60A's now.

I'd sure like to checkout that Y model.

I flew with some great pilots who cut their teeth in the Huey, slicks, bandaids, and the Mikes. A fantastic group of aviators. I'm knew a 1SG who crewed on one of our helicopters back in Vietnam, and I knew him 30 yrs later. What's the likelihood of that guy and that ship in the same unit?

Last edited:
Pretty impressive performance difference by just moving the tail rotor and shortening the vertical.....

Don't they still have UH1N's doing missile base security at Minot?

All the missile bases are still running N-models in their Rescue flights, as well as VIP flights at Yokota and Andrews. Been trying to get them replaced by -60s, but that hasn't happened yet.

And adding two T700 engines.

I hear GE isn't materially supporting the T-700 anymore.

@MikeD Just found this blog late last night (couldn't sleep) and for anyone interest in Vietnam and helicopter flying, it's a good read:

https://cherrieswriter.wordpress.co...pter-pilot-during-the-vietnam-war-guest-blog/

There are links on the right side of the main page to other Vet's accounts/stories, as well as some war correspondent's experiences. .there are some amazing personal accounts and really wonderful photos.

https://cherrieswriter.wordpress.co...an-apart-from-all-other-wars-by-jack-smith-2/

8.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:
Back