EMS career options

nibake

Powder hound
For those of you doing fixed wing EMS now, would you consider the job "made it" terrority for wages, schedule, and QOL? And if not, what other jobs are good options when one has a decent amount of SPIFR twin turbine time?

It’s the perfect retirement gig if—
-you can work 7-night shifts in a row and deal with the screwed up sleep cycles the rest of the month.
-you can find a way to pass the 12 hrs sitting at the airport while avoiding drama and conflict. Earn Money Sleeping.

As for pay, schedule, etc. thanks depends on the company.

-you can work 7-night shifts in a row and deal with the screwed up sleep cycles the rest of the month.
-you can find a way to pass the 12 hrs sitting at the airport while avoiding drama and conflict. Earn Money Sleeping.

If the company makes you spend the whole shift at the airport, don't work for them. That's a bad EMS job.

For those of you doing fixed wing EMS now, would you consider the job "made it" terrority for wages, schedule, and QOL? And if not, what other jobs are good options when one has a decent amount of SPIFR twin turbine time?

""made it" terrority", ultimate career destination caliber of job, no. Pay is about RJ CA territory, but doesn't go up much. Bases, are often in rural areas where many pilots don't want to live.

Solid place where you can feed your family and have a semi predictable schedule with decent QOL, yes.

My old company was both RW and FW. The helicopter crews are on a 6 minute lift time, but the FW pilot is on a 30 minute call out.

Dang. I’m 0 for 2. That’d make this place much nicer. My commute is 11 min. Was the medcrew on a call out too? Both palces have had medcrews at the airport, and FW and RW have been based together.

Dang. I’m 0 for 2. That’d make this place much nicer. My commute is 11 min. Was the medcrew on a call out too? Both palces have had medcrews at the airport, and FW and RW have been based together.

The airplane didn't have an assigned medcrew, and GPM wasn't a RW base. If there was a trip, we called in the on call medcrew or stole the medics from one of the helos if time was an issue.

One of the reasons I say “no” is that unless you stumble onto some kind of union hospital job with a pension the retirement is standard 135 fare-somewhere between “nothing” and “a swift kick in the nuts”.

One of the reasons I say “no” is that unless you stumble onto some kind of union hospital job with a pension the retirement is standard 135 fare-somewhere between “nothing” and “a swift kick in the nuts”.
Which is too bad, so far I’m really enjoying it. But I can also see that if you had the wrong med crews it could be a nightmare.

Eh AMGH’s... I’m sorry we’re “Global Medical Response” now, retirement isn’t terrible. Not Government retirement but not bad.

We have both FW and RW and the FW pilots are not required to stay at the airport their entire shift.

Pay is what it is, some of our bases are still 14/7, some are 14/14. About half of our locations you’ll just want to commute and that’s never going to be a “made it” situation, but some of our other bases have retained pilots for a decent amount of time with little turnover.

Eh AMGH’s... I’m sorry we’re “Global Medical Response” now, retirement isn’t terrible. Not Government retirement but not bad.

We have both FW and RW and the FW pilots are not required to stay at the airport their entire shift.

Pay is what it is, some of our bases are still 14/7, some are 14/14. About half of our locations you’ll just want to commute and that’s never going to be a “made it” situation, but some of our other bases have retained pilots for a decent amount of time with little turnover.
Wait...I thought you rebranded as Guardian Flight? I’m so confused....

EagleMed had mostly airport-based crews except for DDC and GCK (?-when they had the contract). The airport crews could venture to the corner convenience store, but that was it. Lift in 15 was the goal if you were in the hangar.

AMGH — now they just need to acquire a funeral home and the cycle is complete. ;) Are aircraft getting the AMR paint scheme?

Wait...I thought you rebranded as Guardian Flight? I’m so confused....

Guardian Flight, a subsidiary of AMGH, which after the tie-up with AMR is now Global Medical Response. Haven’t heard anything about paint.

@gotWXdagain The paint was more of a joke. I told a friend that a new, independent operator was doing FW EMS in his backyard. He told HQ, and it went nowhere because all the attention was on the AMR acquisition.

Need to find a base that doesn’t hardly ever fly on night shift. Then just take a nap the next day if you fly at night.

Need to find a base that doesn’t hardly ever fly on night shift. Then just take a nap the next day if you fly at night.

More often than not with EMS the flights wind up at the evening hour and go through the backside of the dial. Ever notice how we start getting busy right near hospital's shift change?

More often than not with EMS the flights wind up at the evening hour and go through the backside of the dial. Ever notice how we start getting busy right near hospital's shift change?
It varies wildly, but usually if I’m going to get a flight on night shift I know it’s coming when I clock in. Only been woken up in the middle of the night for a flight twice so far.

Not really sure if that supports or rebuts your statement but there we go.

Back