Employment contract

Luke Froese

I'm currently employed by a company that made me sign an employment contract. However, I have an opportunity to go elsewhere. The contract carries a $30,000 penalty, but it's not pro-rated for time employed. I've been hearing rumors that this contract, since it's not pro-rated, can't legally be enforced. Any guidance would help.

What state are you in? How good is the opportunity? How long have you been employed and how much longer do you have on your contract? The general consensus is no in places like California, but that’s not always the case.

The enforceability of a training cost reimbursement clause (I assume that's what you are talking about) depends on state law. Most states enforce them to some degree but it varies. The best advice is to consult an employment lawyer in your state. Even a short consult should give you some idea of the risk of breaking it.

The Company I work for is based in Massachusetts, I'm currently based in Illinois. I've been with the company for under a year and have not received any type ratings or new certificates through the company. The opportunity would provide pay me twice as much as I do now, and would offer my young and growing family stability instead of the possibility of moving every 6 months. And my time on my contract doesn't start until I make Captain, and then the duration is 18 months. I've signed the contract already, or else I would not be employed at this company, but the time frame has not even begun.

The Company I work for is based in Massachusetts, I'm currently based in Illinois. I've been with the company for under a year and have not received any type ratings or new certificates through the company. The opportunity would provide pay me twice as much as I do now, and would offer my young and growing family stability instead of the possibility of moving every 6 months. And my time on my contract doesn't start until I make Captain, and then the duration is 18 months. I've signed the contract already, or else I would not be employed at this company, but the time frame has not even begun.
I wonder which operator of Cessna 402s that is.

Without knowing exactly who you work for (LOL), let's just say that "a certain 402 operator" WILL attempt to collect on that contract. And they WILL.

What, no discussion of the morality of breaking a contract that someone willfully entered into? Sad.
Mm.

Beagle conveniently "lost" (as in, put in the shredder) a bunch of ours (for the ATP RJSC) in the bankruptcy paper shuffle.

I wonder which operator of Cessna 402s that is.

Without knowing exactly who you work for (LOL), let's just say that "a certain 402 operator" WILL attempt to collect on that contract. And they WILL.

Mm.

Beagle conveniently "lost" (as in, put in the shredder) a bunch of ours (for the ATP RJSC) in the bankruptcy paper shuffle.
That's pretty wild that they have a contract to be a 402 FO, a position in which if there's an autopilot installed you cannot legally even log the time for a certificate or rating. Who in this market would sign that(he asks rhetorically)? How do they have any pilots?

What DPE is signing their ATP with illegitimate flight time?

That's pretty wild that they have a contract to be a 402 FO, a position in which if there's an autopilot installed you cannot legally even log the time for a certificate or rating. Who in this market would sign that(he asks rhetorically)? How do they have any pilots?
I mean...if I were starting out, I’d do it. And I’d stay and pay it off, and accept the move part.

The idea is that you upgrade and do valuable labor with the experience you get, I guess.

I mean...if I were starting out, I’d do it. And I’d stay and pay it off, and accept the move part.

The idea is that you upgrade and do valuable labor with the experience you get, I guess.
How do you upgrade if you can't log the time(He asks knowing neither the FAA nor a company give 2 •s about regulations)? Unless you come in at ATP mins... in which case, why bother at all? Maybe the operator ripped all their autopilots out and got rid of their opspec. Lol

How do you upgrade if you can't log the time(He asks knowing neither the FAA nor a company give 2 •s about regulations)? Unless you come in at ATP mins... in which case, why bother at all? Maybe the operator ripped all their autopilots out and got rid of their opspec. Lol
SIC required when present at “Sandpiper Air.”

FWIW, I think that experience is so much more worthy than grinding around the pattern too.

What, no discussion of the morality of breaking a contract that someone willfully entered into? Sad.

I'm sure both you and I have signed contracts with terms we don't like, based on the advice of our lawyers that the clauses won't be enforceable, and it is cheaper to sign now and argue later (if that ever even happens).

I'm sure both you and I have signed contracts with terms we don't like, based on the advice of our lawyers that the clauses won't be enforceable, and it is cheaper to sign now and argue later (if that ever even happens).

Nah, I've never signed a contract that I didn't have every intention of honoring. To do so is, frankly, scummy.

Back