Employee Attitude Survey

ATLTRACON(ret)

For an example of the bitterness that exists between FAA management and air traffic controllers, look no further than the agency’s 2007 employee satisfaction survey.
The survey was sent to 10,000 employees randomly through e-mail. Since many controllers aren’t online during the day, the agency mailed them areds with the URL to the survey so that they could do it at home.
“Well, apparently the URL was shopped around to a much wider audience than the randomly selected group, and its new recipients were urged by bloggers to send a loud message about how dissatisfied they are with management,” said Gerald E. Lavey, deputy assistant administrator for corporate communications( Corporate what???, we're NOT a corporation. This guy is the biggest joke in the Agency) at the FAA, in an online memo to employees about the survey. “So when the results came in with this unprecedented rate of return from one segment of the workforce, we had more than ample reason to believe something was amiss.”
(LMAO. IOW we got a much broader, probably much more representative sample, as opposed to the targeted group we wanted, so we scrapped the results)This is what the FFAA does. When they do not like the outcome of something they have done or they fall short of reaching a goal, they move the goalpost and "rebaseline" their favorite word. Case in point, last year CFC (combined Federal Campaign) that gives to numerous charities. The FFAA has for years pushed us to donate money (illegal in the workplace) to THEIR favorite charities. This last year we all donated to specific Union charities that were not on the FFAA's list. Well this makes them look bad and at the end of the CFC they has only like 10% of the workforce donate, well below their goal. So what did they do? They extended the period for the end of the CFC to another two months. Then Lavey personally went around and got people to donate (again illegal in the workplace) well of course they got to their goal, after another few months. then it was touted as a great success and sheet-cake/two hour lunch/early shove was had by all:nana2: (remember no-one a HQ has ever had a deal with two paperclips coming together)
As a result, the agency scrapped the survey NO KIDDING, THERE'S A BIG SURPRISE. “Management still has to deal with the 2006 survey results, and prior survey results, showing that we need to do a lot of work to improve management effectiveness and accountability,” the memo states.
(So what's the plan, set up another rigged survey with a few dozen HQ types ?)
Indeed, the 2006 employee attitude survey does not paint the picture of a happy workforce. The survey results demonstrate that the controllers are not alone in their distrust and dislike of FAA management.
(Which is why FAA conducted the follow up rigged survey that they did, in the first place)
Sixty-four percent of respondents indicated that they distrust FAA management. Forty percent of respondents said they don’t believe that supervisors are effective in providing periodic coaching to improve performance. More than half of the respondents said they seldom hear that they do a good job.

.....Two-thirds of respondents indicated that they had not seen a positive change in the agency’s emphasis on managing people over the previous two years. Sixty-one percent said they didn’t agree with the statement: “The organization has a real interest in the welfare and satisfaction of those who work at the agency.”.....

John Palguta, vice president for policy at the Partnership for Public Service, isn’t surprised by the employee satisfaction survey results. Palguta helps put together the annual “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government” list, in which the FAA ranked 204 out of 222 agencies.
The rankings in his organization’s survey, he says, are weighted, based on the average of three questions from the 2006 Federal Human Capital Survey, conducted by the Office of Personnel Management: How satisfied are you with your job? How satisfied are you with your organization? Would you recommend your organization as a good place to work?
“The FAA has been working for years to improve the people skills of its managers and supervisors,” he says.
added by controller at SCT(LMAO. I'll tell you what I remember (and always will) one of our OMs walking down the aisles at SCT at 12:01 AM, the day the IWRs were enforced, pulling radios and laying down the new mid shift rules. And I remember getting hassled by another OM (a dumb SOB, and a guy I had to work around when he was a controller) for having a baseball hat on, even though the IWRs clearly state the rules on mid shift attire)

Palguta, who has worked in federal government for 37 years, is nevertheless hopeful that the agency can turn things around.
“Government agencies may not be able to control their own appropriations, but they can control their own fate,” he says. “They just need to figure out what will improve employee engagement and get employees to feel good about themselves.”

(Oh please, the Bush-Blakey-Stoogell philosopshy is simple, we're all Walmart colleagues).

Re: Employee Attitute Survey

icon1.gif
Employee Attitute (attitude??) Survey

Sorry ATL...couldn't help myself!!

What, no comments other than my crappy spelling:whatever:? Folks, THIS is your future employeer...and they love the new hires.

well i agree this is troubling, however most of us are hoping that things change drastically with the new presidential administration

Some of these complaints sound similar to my workforce on the railroad. There is generally an animosity between management and union (so perhaps most union jobs experience a similar thing), and management is often clueless about the duties and responsibilities of the employees they manage.

What, no comments other than my crappy spelling:whatever:? Folks, THIS is your future employeer...and they love the new hires.

It is disturbing that they didn't hear exactly what the wanted and decided to "scrap" the survey!! Kind of humorous actually...:sarcasm:

i read a lot of this stuff that you post, i dont always comment....its not like a comment would really help the situation. on a side note, how much worse can it really get? and has the FAA always been this low with respect to their rankings in comparison to other government agencies/organizations?

i read a lot of this stuff that you post, i dont always comment....its not like a comment would really help the situation. on a side note, how much worse can it really get? We could always go back to the days of peeing on position and has the FAA always been this low with respect to their rankings in comparison to other government agencies/organizations? Not positive, but there has always been this feeling of animosity and power struggle between the management and controllers; the agency and the union

Back