Emmy Eye

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
....my non-flying people get to know about this on the book of zuck, but for the rest of yas (and yes there is some overlap) I passed the MEI ride yesterday.

Next stop, ATP. I'm shooting for a year, maybe less, but it's a lot of hours to go. Do-able, but I'm gonna have to HUSTLE.

What did you do it in? Not sure if that, or a seaplane rating is in my future this year. Seaplane sounds like a lot more fun.

I did both my -II and MEI in a Grumman Cougar. Nice, docile light twin.

Seaplane IS a lot of fun. I have CSES and it was enjoyable but there's not a lot of utility in it if you're not going to own one. Very few places to rent. Jack Brown's is pretty close to you and they'll get it done. That's my only busted checkride. :)

Great work! Getting paid for it was the only way I was going to build multi time. Ain't nobody got the money to just go screw off in a Seminole for $400/hour.

Last edited:
Seaplane IS a lot of fun. I have CSES and it was enjoyable but there's not a lot of utility in it if you're not going to own one. Very few places to rent. Jack Brown's is pretty close to you and they'll get it done. That's my only busted checkride. :)

Yeah, there's nothing practical about it. But close to me and sounds like fun.

I did most of my multi in a Grumman Cougar, a fairly rare plane to find in rentals. Where was this?

Even though I think this Grumman Cougar - an F9 - would be a lot more fun.

1621342516550.png

That was the one thing holding me back from getting a SES until I got to my career airline. But now I haven't found the time to do it. Still on the list.

MEI (and MES) were so much fun.

Tom Brady at Traverse Air is good if you don't fancy FL

Interesting at your/our stage of life, isn’t it? Made my move in my late 40’s and it worked out for me, but we did have a “Plan B” too. Ain’t easy!

"Interesting" is one word for it. :)

I'm sort of living my plan B right now in that if aviation doesn't allow me a hard exit from this career, I can likely come back to it....at least, it seems that way.

I'm 47....could still have a decent career in aviation if I do it right. "Right" has a few configurations, though. It's very much a matter of timing and opportunity at the time I'm eligible for the kinds of jobs I'm interested in.

"Interesting" is one word for it. :)

I'm sort of living my plan B right now in that if aviation doesn't allow me a hard exit from this career, I can likely come back to it....at least, it seems that way.

I'm 47....could still have a decent career in aviation if I do it right. "Right" has a few configurations, though. It's very much a matter of timing and opportunity at the time I'm eligible for the kinds of jobs I'm interested in.

Awesome, you're in IT, right? I hope that I'm not thinking of someone else. What's your dream scenario look like?

Awesome, you're in IT, right? I hope that I'm not thinking of someone else. What's your dream scenario look like?

Yeah, I'm more or less in IT.

Dream scenario? $300K, 8 days a month of work. :)

Honestly, I'm not sure. I've been having this conversation with myself for a while (and with a few of you fine folks on JC) now, and it's a bit bothersome because it's more about things I don't want than things I do. Part of that is because I know where I am in more detail than I know about flying, if that makes sense. I do know that every job becomes a job at some point, but I also know a lot more about who I am than I did 20 years ago, and I think it would take a long time for a flying job to become a "job". I've been listening around here (and at the airport) for a long time now and I've gotten some pretty good insights from a lot of people.

The more serious (and closer to ATP mins) I've gotten, the more I'm thinking that while my prior career history and aspects of my personality lend themselves well to corporate flying, the instability (it seems) of 91/135 corp and charter does scare me a little, and at my age, I'm not sure I want to go chasing jobs every two years because the owner has just decided to sell the airplane. I know that's not ALL jobs, but like I said, I know so little about that world.

Airline flying - whilst necessarily 'boring' - is a lifestyle gig, really. And the question I'm asking myself is simply, "is that what I want?"

Still learning what the answers are. And still trying to figure out what to do with them as they come.

I've done it all. Everyone I know who did corporate or charter ended up going to a major, major freight, or LCC. The reasons are numerous, but there's no reason you can't do both. My quality of life, even at a regional, was way better than I had flying charter.

I've done it all. Everyone I know who did corporate or charter ended up going to a major, major freight, or LCC. The reasons are numerous, but there's no reason you can't do both. My quality of life, even at a regional, was way better than I had flying charter.

And this is where a lot of the math leads me. (I do remember when you were a flight instructor, too.) 20 years ago, I was willing to take a QoL hit to build something, and I might be willing to take some of that again, but it's a much much larger factor to me at 47 than it was at 27. Or even 37. The most attractive thing about airline flying to me is that when you're done flying, you don't have to think about flying if you don't want to. It's truly a job you don't have to take home with you.

That matters a lot to me.

....my non-flying people get to know about this on the book of zuck, but for the rest of yas (and yes there is some overlap) I passed the MEI ride yesterday.

Next stop, ATP. I'm shooting for a year, maybe less, but it's a lot of hours to go. Do-able, but I'm gonna have to HUSTLE.
Congrats!!! ^_^

Congrats! I forget are you instructing purely on the side? Nights/weekends? What’s your strategy for getting to that number with a full time job?
- From a guy looking to do the same.

Congrats! I forget are you instructing purely on the side? Nights/weekends? What’s your strategy for getting to that number with a full time job?
- From a guy looking to do the same.

Yeah, instructing part time on the side - mostly mornings before working hours. A few nights - no weekends.

Weekends I'm either doing house chores or working/flying my airplane.

Back