Emergency @ SDL!

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that
Well about two minutes ago an aircraft declared an emergency and landed at SDL. I do not know the nature of the problem but I think it was a gear-up landing. The pilot requested that the runway be foamed but the tower informed him that the SDL FD policy is not to foam the runway and that they would follow him and then foam if anything caught fire! What kind of BS is that?

Anyway I walked out the back door here at work just in time to see the trucks rolling. The pilot said he was aiming for a landing point about 1/4 ofthe way down 21. As of now (3:20pm Local) the runway is closed for what they're estimating will be about an hour.

No word on injuries/deaths but with only an hour closure I'd guess everyone is "ok."

The news copters are already on scene so check the news tonight local folks.

I'll post more if I hear anything.

I was coming off of Scottsdale rode and turning left to go eastbound on FLW (right by that ugly "spire") and I saw the chopperatti hovering about and I wondered what was up.

I betchya dorkboy down in Ironwood Village has already booted up Microsoft Word to write another missive about the dangers of the airport...

Wouldn't doubt it...

Latest news: Another 45 minutes for the runway to be cleared. Tower just told an inbound aircraft that they had a Cessna touchdown after the nose gear failed to come down. Every thing/one is ok apprently.

That was fast: as of 3:50 p.m. local the runway is open again.

Good to hear everyone is ok.

Dude, speaking of that ugly spire....That is the most insanely ugly thing I've ever seen. I can't believe thay allowed that to be put up in Scottsdale. All I can say is, What the hell were they thinkin?

Kristie is REALLY mad about it too.

To me, it reminded me of when that big weird alien ship rose from the water in "Abyss".

Yes, it's THAT bad people.

Strange how we have this need to kiss Frank Llyod Wright's butt, but in North Scottsdale besides Taliesen, there's few if any FLW-inspired buildings.

My city is weird.

Speaking of emergencies...yesterday, a controller asked if a pilot was declaring an emergency because his flaps were not working. I didnt hear the response, but I saw the plane land safely and it seemed to be a non-event (thankfully). Shortly thereafter, they were "sweeping" the runway. What does that mean? Is such a situation grounds for declaring an emergency?

[ QUOTE ]
What does that mean? Is such a situation grounds for declaring an emergency?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. If it's a 172? Nah. If it's an F104? Sure.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The pilot requested that the runway be foamed but the tower informed him that the SDL FD policy is not to foam the runway and that they would follow him and then foam if anything caught fire! What kind of BS is that?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really BS. Foam is a suppression agent. It is meant to blanket a fire and starve it of oxygen. If you lay down the foam it is just going to make you slide FARTHER. Which takes longer for you to get out and causes even more damage to the aircraft. Further, the plane sliding through the foam would prevent it from forming a blanket, and make it necessary to add more foam. (which I hear they try to make YOU pay for). All the excessive foam also would hinder your egress and the rescue personnel from helping you.

Also, of all the gear up videos I have seen, none have had the foam on the runway beforehand and none of them caught fire.

Just something to consider.

[ QUOTE ]
which I hear they try to make YOU pay for

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me... you need the foam, you pay for it!
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
which I hear they try to make YOU pay for

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me... you need the foam, you pay for it!
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So where does that stop. If you charge for that, then why don't airports start charging pilots for every landing they make and every airport.

Or why don't the firefighters wait to put out a fire just to make sure the person has money to pay for their services?

Maybe the foam wouldn't have worked, or maybe it would have. But that small chance it would have helped and maybe saved a life, I think it would be worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does that mean? Is such a situation grounds for declaring an emergency?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. If it's a 172? Nah. If it's an F104? Sure.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was a Falcon (some kind of biz jet).

[ QUOTE ]
Or why don't the firefighters wait to put out a fire just to make sure the person has money to pay for their services?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're sorry your house is burning to cinders at the moment, but we have to ask this. Do you have insurance coverage?

The point is that lanidng on foam is more likely to make the situation worse, not improve the odds. Good call by the people that know best, I think.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're sorry your house is burning to cinders at the moment, but we have to ask this. Do you have insurance coverage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have put the sarcasm quotes in my post. I was just joking and using cointryo's logic that I find odd.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have put the sarcasm tags in my post. I was just joking and using cointryo's logic that I find odd.

[ QUOTE ]
The point is that lanidng on foam is more likely to make the situation worse, not improve the odds. Good call by the people that know best, I think.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know it would be worse? I don't and that is why I said it may or may not help. But have they done any research on this. It would seem the less friction the less chance of fire.

It will probably make it go farther, but what about landing on grass? Could have the pilot landed parallel to the runway in the grass?

Back