emergency landing at Newark

TWF

NEWARK, N.J. - Landing gear problems force a United Airlines flight to make an emergency landing at Newark Liberty International Airport.

No injuries were reported in the incident, which occurred just before 9:30 a.m. Sunday. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport, said all 53 people aboard Flight 634 from Chicago were safely evacuated.

Robin Urbanski, a United Airlines spokeswoman, said the Airbus 319's main landing gear failed to properly deploy, though it's not yet clear why that happened. The flight had departed from Chicago around 6 a.m. and was a direct flight to Newark, with 48 passengers and five crew members aboard.

Port Authority spokesman Ron Marsico said the airport was closed for about 20 minutes due to the incident, but two of the three runways were reopened shortly after the plane landed. Some minor departure delays were reported, but they were expected to clear up quickly.

The plane remained on the other runway early Sunday afternoon, as investigators worked to determine the cause of the landing gear problem.

source : http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-ap-nj-emergencylanding,0,3149561.story

I saw this plane when we landed today. I had a later show time, so I didn't take that flight... normally I ride that flight every week! It's typically wide open, and the United crews treat me really well.

As I'm sitting here, I'm thinking to myself that it would have been more comfortable commuting on that flight than it was riding in the Embraer jumpseat, even if I would have had to gone down a slide. I might have even gotten out of my flights today.

I dropped my dad off at BOS at 7:15 this morning for a flight to CLE and then onto MCI. CLE closed because of the power outage, so they booked him BOS-EWR-MCI. The dash-8 came in 2 hours late and now it has a pressurization problem and it won't be ready for at least another hour (it was supposed to have left BOS at 11:30. I could have driven him to EWR and driven home by this time.

I know that's kinda unrelated, but it's just frustrating. And now I have to go pick him up from BOS. Wonderful.

I diverted to EWR once, we got on the ground and the fueler wouldnt give us gas because he claimed our company stiffed him on the bill last time. 6 hours later, and a call to dir of flt ops got me my gas.

Oh, I see why they left it there. The way I read the article I thought they declared because of gear problems (I've done it before), landed without incident and then had mechanics trying to figure out WTF was wrong with the system and thus, didn't want to move the plane.

I'm assuming there is no manual gear extension on the Airbus? Just out of curiosity does anyone know what type of aircraft have these systems as I recall hearing that the ERJ's had some type of pressurized system that forced the doors open and the gear out?

The last ditch effort in the ERJ is a door below the FO's left leg....Open the door and there's a big handle that gives you plenty of mechanical advantage. You have to give it a big pull and it'll mechanically release the uplocks...

1st try- Gear handle

2nd option- An electrical backup switch thingy. I think it's basically a direct electrical link to the gear..skips some of the computers that the regular handle signal works through.

3rd option- Big red handle to mechanically unlock.

The last ditch effort in the ERJ is a door below the FO's left leg....Open the door and there's a big handle that gives you plenty of mechanical advantage. You have to give it a big pull and it'll mechanically release the uplocks...

And if real life is anything like the sim its take a fair bit of muscle to pull the handle into place.

And if real life is anything like the sim its take a fair bit of muscle to pull the handle into place.

I always wanted to have to pull that handle, only to have the entire assembly rip out in my hand like the movie Airplane!

I guess my aviation goals are a bit non-standard. :p

Back