Embraer sees 2024 commercial launch for Uber flying cabs

Only past a certain point. We aren't talking long haul here.
Weight only becomes more critical the smaller the machine is. A Tesla is fast, and weighs 5,000 lbs. It's hard to generate a 1:1 thrust ratio when you need that much weight to store energy.

Weight only becomes more critical the smaller the machine is. A Tesla is fast, and weighs 5,000 lbs. It's hard to generate a 1:1 thrust ratio when you need that much weight to store energy.
Not to mention vertical takeoff/landing, there isn't an efficient method I've seen, that doesn't mean someone won't find one, just that I haven't seen one.

Airbus has been working on a pilotless model that looks somewhat promising. Think about it as a product for getting people from downtown areas to the Airport, much like the helicopter system they had in NYC many years ago. Also perhaps a good EMS delivery aircraft that doesn't consistently kill a lot of people.

I'm not so sure an autonomous (/remote operated) aircraft can do the EMS mission as efficiently. You still need a nurse/ medical practitioner giving treatment to the patient. Pilot error in crashes still happen to combat UAV's, in a less dynamic environment.

Pilot error in crashes still happen to combat UAV's, in a less dynamic environment.

And lost link/comm happens ALL the time. It won't be very useful as EMS when it goes into a hold til fuel exhaustion every time it loses data link.

I'm wondering if supercapacitors would be a thing and if they're considerably lighter than batteries. If they are lighter, and can store charge more quickly....

Uber: "We are building an air taxi service"
Govt: "Great! You can be subject to all the laws and regs that transportation companies are."
Uber: "Noooooo!!! We are really just a rideshare technology platform!"
Govt: "But you are building a freaking mode of transportation!"
Uber: "Yeah but we are blowhards in Silicon Valley! Laws don't apply to us!"

Imagine the money Uber would have made if they would just license their software to real transportation companies. They make money on the licensing and don't have to deal with all the stuff that goes into running a transportation business (that they clearly don't want anyway!).

I have a strong suspicion your technical knowledge beyond looking at a screen is limited, not nonexistent, just limited.

He’s right though, lithium ion battery energy density increases by about 3% a year, and that’s just that technology. Provided that trend continues, electric is the future and will eclipse the storage capabilities of gas eventually. Regardless, electric motors are between 2 and 3 times as efficient internal combustion engines, so you don’t need to have as good of batteries.

If that doesn’t happen (like there are fundamental physical storage limits) it’s highly likely that fuel cell technology will accomplish basically the same thing.

I mean, yes and no? In terms of efficiency, electric motors stomp pretty much everything else - 90-98% efficiency is unheard of in the heat engine world.

Part of me yearns for the future of my past, when everyone has a flying car or jet pack.

But then the other part of my bitchslaps that part and points out what an utter trainwreck of flaming chaos that would ensue.

I mean, yes and no? In terms of efficiency, electric motors stomp pretty much everything else - 90-98% efficiency is unheard of in the heat engine world.

Electric motors are efficient but look at the energy storage aspect. Way more energy is stored in one gallon of gas weighing six pounds than six pounds of batteries.

Ten gallons of gas in a Prius has the same energy of seven Tesla cars.

Uber: "We are building an air taxi service"
Govt: "Great! You can be subject to all the laws and regs that transportation companies are."
Uber: "Noooooo!!! We are really just a rideshare technology platform!"
Govt: "But you are building a freaking mode of transportation!"
Uber: "Yeah but we are blowhards in Silicon Valley! Laws don't apply to us!"

Imagine the money Uber would have made if they would just license their software to real transportation companies. They make money on the licensing and don't have to deal with all the stuff that goes into running a transportation business (that they clearly don't want anyway!).
That's a great example of getting the government out of the way.

Electric motors are efficient but look at the energy storage aspect. Way more energy is stored in one gallon of gas weighing six pounds than six pounds of batteries.

Ten gallons of gas in a Prius has the same energy of seven Tesla cars.

Right, but like I said, it’s not static, battery tech is getting better.

That's a great example of getting the government out of the way.
A6DED8BA-FD41-4E5A-B43C-9B15D53A1F84.jpeg

Right, but like I said, it’s not static, battery tech is getting better.
Efficiency isn't what moves stuff, though. Power-to-weight ratio does that. And yes, battery tech is getting better for sure.

The fact remains that airplanes and cars handle weight completely differently. A IO-360 powered 172 at max gross weight is a completely different machine than a Pitts S-1S with the same engine. Small flying machines are a matter of squeezing rotational energy out of a given mass, with heat loss and fuel economy as afterthoughts. Unless they plan on using runways, they'll need a >1:1 thrust/weight ratio or a rotor-wing arrangement. That's hard to do. A Pitts Model 12 kind of gets there, but it carries one person and no bags.

I get your point and expected someone to post something of the sort. I'm all about safety. But at what point do we draw the line? Layer upon layer of regulation is stifling growth.

These new self flying aircraft can revolutionize the general aviation industry. You probably won't even need much formal training in operating them. Get it and press take off, and fly, and land kinda stuff. Yet the FAA will be there however with their usual PPL requirements.

Efficiency isn't what moves stuff, though. Power-to-weight ratio does that. And yes, battery tech is getting better for sure.

The fact remains that airplanes and cars handle weight completely differently. A IO-360 powered 172 at max gross weight is a completely different machine than a Pitts S-1S with the same engine. Small flying machines are a matter of squeezing rotational energy out of a given mass, with heat loss and fuel economy as afterthoughts. Unless they plan on using runways, they'll need a >1:1 thrust/weight ratio or a rotor-wing arrangement. That's hard to do. A Pitts Model 12 kind of gets there, but it carries one person and no bags.

Electric motors have a much better power to weight ratio than internal combustion engines, literally all we need is lighter batteries

I get your point and expected someone to post something of the sort. I'm all about safety. But at what point do we draw the line? Layer upon layer of regulation is stifling growth.

These new self flying aircraft can revolutionize the general aviation industry. You probably won't even need much formal training in operating them. Get it and press take off, and fly, and land kinda stuff. Yet the FAA will be there however with their usual PPL requirements.

Just like sport pilot right?

Back