EMB-170 / US Airways

Phil2016

I was planning a couple of trips and came across a leg on US that included one of the new Embraer 170s. It was listed on USAir's website as a mainline flight and what appears to be a mainline flight number (1624 or something like that). Is Mid-Atlantic Airways dead (isn't that who was going to be flying the 170s)? Anybody know if mainline pilots are being trained to fly these? Just curious.

That's a good question. Perhaps US Airways is planning on using some of the EMB-170s on mainline as well as Express.

The word from friends at US Air is that management would like to put all 170s/190s on the mainline roster.That still may be MidAtlantic, but will be 100% mainline pilots.. MA would be like a TED or SONG in the sense that it's still US Airways pilots flying them.

ALPA announced payrates for those aircraft that topped out at 60K or so a year for a captain, and something like 40 a year for FOs.. Not very good!

Holy crap, it's the sign of the 'quickening'.

A USAirways Emb170 pilot will earn less than a city of Scottsdale garbage truck driver.

[ QUOTE ]
ALPA announced payrates for those aircraft that topped out at 60K or so a year for a captain, and something like 40 a year for FOs

[/ QUOTE ]

And the ALPA agreed to those rates? Yikes! That's scary.

[ QUOTE ]
Is 60k and 40k really that bad for a pilot gig?

[/ QUOTE ]

When a garbage collector gets paid $62k, yes.

I guess if you look at it that way. I am a career changer who made 100k for the last five years and am looking at the possibility of making 12k when I finish up my tickets. So if I could land a job for an airline at 40 it sounds like a ton of $$$$$.

Doesn't seem like the right pay for a captain of a multi million dollar jet to me. What do i know though...

[ QUOTE ]
I guess if you look at it that way. I am a career changer who made 100k for the last five years and am looking at the possibility of making 12k when I finish up my tickets. So if I could land a job for an airline at 40 it sounds like a ton of $$$$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

confused.gif

I'm not getting into this for the $, and I make less than 40K now...but that doesn't mean I want to be middle aged with a family and at the pinnicle of my career making that either.

Shooter I agree 100% but being young in this career, read low hours, I am just trying to keep a pulse on what the money will be. I have no idea what some jobs are worth and just want to be able to get a job, at any pay.

[ QUOTE ]
just want to be able to get a job, at any pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense but this is the attitude that allows low paying pilot jobs to exist. You are a professional and highly trained person (once you get to the point you can be hired) tasked with making decisions in a high-stress, fast-paced environment upon which lives hang in the balance operating (and responsible for) equipment that is valued into the high $100ks or even millions. There is nothing wrong with expecting to be paid accordingly!

None taken, I can only post on what I see and hear. And from that perspective the only thing that I can deduce is that entry level (new) pilots can't make any money. So 40k sounds like a windfall.

I guess I look at it that if these are mainline pilots, then this is going to be the bottom of the barrel, entry level pilots. In that case, I don't think those salary levels are THAT bad. After a few years, they can upgrade to the 737 or Airbus, and continue on with their careers and higher salaries.

Sadly, that probably doesn't matter though, as I don't see US Airways sticking around for too many more years. I hope I'm wrong.

[rumor spread]
Far be it from me to spread a RUMOR but ...

Mesa is researching flying 737s on the east coast
smile.gif

TOTALLY UNCONFIRMED!

[/rumor spread]

[ QUOTE ]
[rumor spread]
Far be it from me to spread a RUMOR but ...

Mesa is researching flying 737s on the east coast
smile.gif

TOTALLY UNCONFIRMED!

[/rumor spread]

[/ QUOTE ]
As in purchasing US's shuttle assets?

Back