EG&G Flight Attendant: Require TOP SECRET Background

Bigey

I noticed that EG&G in Vegas is hiring flight attendants. One of the pre-reqs is the ability to obtain a Top Secret Security Clearance. Was wondering if anyone worked for EG&G and what's the pay/QOL?

It's for the 737, so I'm assuming it'd be operating in and out of the AF bases around there including "Area 51."

Can't speak for flight attendant pay/QOL, but squadronmates I know who worked the EG&G job didn't have much good to say about it. No union protection, many ex-military officers who can't figure out they're no longer in the military, contracts going to lowest bidder translating to lower pilot pay, etc.

That's for those "Janet" airplanes out there, right?

I know nothing of the pay, QOL or anything of what their F/As experience, but if I was every going to be relocating to the LAS area I'd certainly look into it as a possible place to work.

if I was every going to be relocating to the LAS area I'd certainly look into it as a possible place to work.

FWIW, it is a very who-you-know based hiring process, and generally the few jobs available only go to guys recently out of the military who all ready have the required clearances.

So the public job posting is just kind of a "we publish the job listing because we have to but people applying off the street really don't have a chance" kind of thing?

So the public job posting is just kind of a "we publish the job listing because we have to but people applying off the street really don't have a chance" kind of thing?

That's my understanding based off acquaintances who have been through the process, yes. Everyone's welcome to apply, but they're very selective and for the most part are looking for a very specific set of skill and experience which most people "off the street" aren't going to possess.

That's as far as pilots go, though. Have never heard about the atmosphere for FAs.

No offense to the FA's, but I can think of quite a few more useful things to do with a TS on the "outside" than this...

No offense to the FA's, but I can think of quite a few more useful things to do with a TS on the "outside" than this...

Could maybe be used as a networking thing, where you get "in" doing the F/A thing, but can make some useful contacts to move on to other jobs?

I've always wondered what purpose Janet/EG&G really had and why they needed FA's. I believe they exist to ferry the Aliens to and fro, and the FA's are needed to ensure safe evacuation to the Aliens in the event of a water-landing or something. And peanuts and Coke. I also think they are primarily flying short routes but I don't know that for sure. I always assumed the longest flight would be LAS-Roswell-Washington D.C in order for the President to show people the aliens and stuff - but that's a guess. What is it that Janet does exactly?

Janet just shuttles DoD employees between LAS and government sites like the Tonopah Test Range and Groom Lake(Area 51) using 737-600s(I think the last -200 was retired to the Davis Montham Boneyard) and B1900s. They used to fly to BUR too, but I'm pretty sure they only operate out of LAS now as far as public airports go. I used to think it sounded like an awesome job and did a lot of research on it and talked to people who knew people there. Turns out its pretty much just a regular get it from point A to point B job, minus the flight benefits and you fly to the same handful of airports again and again. And like Hacker said, anyone I've ever known to have worked there was ex-military, pilot wise anyway. I've heard stories of civilians getting as far as the background check and failing for stuff on their grade-school records, don't know if they're true or not. Also, much like a regional, remember they are a contractor. If a lower bidder were to come forth, though right now there doesn't seem to be competition on the horizon, the contract can always go away.

One thing I do wonder about though is the lay-overs. I think the aircraft sit on the ground for a while at their destinations. I wonder where the crews stay during this time period.

Janet just shuttles DoD employees between LAS and government sites like the Tonopah Test Range and Groom Lake(Area 51) using 737-600s(I think the last -200 was retired to the Davis Montham Boneyard) and B1900s.

Yup, the -200s are there at DMA.

One thing I do wonder about though is the lay-overs. I think the aircraft sit on the ground for a while at their destinations. I wonder where the crews stay during this time period.

In the brig. :)

Back