Effect of multi time on hiring minimums

pscraig

I've heard from pilots and posts here and elsewhere that a significant amount of multi time can lower hiring minimums by some unspecified and variable amount. Anyone have any idea? 700TT with 550 multi getting competitive? I had some friends recently go to TSA and Lakes, all around 1200-1300 TT but maybe 200ME at most. As an MEI the majority of my time is multi, but I'm trying to decide when to begin applying at regionals and when my credentials are considered competitive.

I'm low on the totem pole, but I've been putting my resume out there for a couple of months now. I figure they'll eventually get tired of hearing me call to confirm receiving my resume and give me an interview. Besides, the more they see my name, the better my chances get.

Also, I can sit there and say I've been applying to their company for 5-6 months, updating them on the 2nd of every month once I finally do get called...of course, I'm still looking and have no job offers, but we'll see.

Good luck out there and I'll see you in the civilian world in October.
grin.gif

txpilot

Well I'm almost at 500TT and when I get there I'll have close to 450ME. With a lot of PIC XC (and PIC XC ME to boot) and several loooong trips in the book (2,600nm RT).

No one is banging down my door to hire me, though.
cool.gif

I would venture to say that without 1000TT you won't get looked at no matter how much multi you have. In this job market, airlines can stick to their guns on every minima ... from total to multi to requiring a college degree (see other threads!). It doesn't hurt to apply early (I have on many occasions) but don't necessarily expect to get a call.

Just get as much quality experience as you can ... multi, turbine, etc is so much the better ... but even if you're teaching in Cessnas, keep doing it as well as you can. The experience in your logbook will pay off down the road.

I could use an "Information Minister" when I take over Scottsdale.

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't hurt to apply early (I have on many occasions) but don't necessarily expect to get a call.

[/ QUOTE ]
FL270, when you say "apply early", HOW early do you mean?

Granted, I'm JUST about to cross the 250 mark and earn my Comm. ratings, so I have no dillusions of grandure about being hired (outside of instructing) within the next two years, but how "early" is "early"???

Please advise.

Thanks!

R2F

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The JC Elite guards will defeat all infidels! We will send them back to Mesa, and Paradise Valley. They will realize their wrongs and flee from the might that is the JC.COM. We have already won. All bow to the Spire of JC.COM (now located at Frank Loyd Wright Blvd. and Scottsdale Rd.).

Something like that?
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
FL270, when you say "apply early", HOW early do you mean? Please advise.

[/ QUOTE ]R2F, I'd say once you meet "most" of the minimums. Example ... an airline is advertising 1000tt/100me/100inst ... you have the multi and the instrument, but only 800tt ... go ahead and throw in. Do not apply until you have all the necessary certificates and ratings (commercial/instrument/multi/radio permit/etc.). Even if they don't call you, you're building a file with them and they'll know you're interested. Once you've applied someplace, submit regular updates (every 60 days, every 100 hours, whatever) to let them know you're still interested and to show your qualifications are continuing to grow.

I have a drawer in my file cabinet dedicated to the job search process. It contains one file folder for each job I've applied for since I became a CFI. In the folder I have a list of important information on the company (pilot bases, equipment, address/phone/fax, recruiter or chief pilot name, etc.) and a contact log. I also keep copies of every resume I mail or fax to them, along with letters I send and any correspondence I receive in return.

In the legal field, I'm sure you're familiar with a contact log. Mine is pretty simple, something like:

01/15/03 initial resume/cover letter sent via fax
03/15/03 resume update via fax
05/20/03 recommendation of "friend x" walked in
07/25/03 resume update via e-mail

and so forth. This system has served me well in the last few years. Anyone out there may feel to use it if they like, just PM me for the address for the royalty payments, please!

Excellent info! Thanks for the tips!!!

Like I said, I know I've got quite some time before I will be able to start throwing my resume out there, but I like to look ahead and have a plan of action.

This helps tremendously!!

Thanks again!!

R2F

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The JC Elite guards will defeat all infidels! We will send them back to Mesa, and Paradise Valley. They will realize their wrongs and flee from the might that is the JC.COM. We have already won. All bow to the Spire of JC.COM (now located at Frank Loyd Wright Blvd. and Scottsdale Rd.).

Something like that?
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Before we take over any cities lets wait for MikeD and his A-10 to get back. When it comes to taking over a city I've heard an A-10 can be quite useful!

smirk.gif

Back